Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 -- which cylinder is which?

Hello,

Cylinder #2 on my EJ22 engine is misfiring (according to OBD codes)...facing the engine from the front...which cylinder is #2? Note: the ECM is for an EJ25 engine (swapped a EJ25 for an EJ22 in an automatic 96 OBW)

Thanks!

Damien

Drivers side - pass side

Front

1-----------------2

3-----------------4

Hey Nipper...you should be getting paid for all the work you do on this forum!

--Damien

Not to hijack the thread, but it keeps me happy and my skills sharp. Whatever i don't know i will find out about. It gets boring being home on disability. Right now I am trying to figure out what my next career path will be.

I enjoy it.

nipper

Wow, this is getting confusing. Standing at the front of the car, looking down at the engine, the odd numbered cylinders are on the left (passenger's) side, the even on the right (driver's) side, lower-numbered nearest you:

3 4

1 2

Yeah, OB, I believe you've got it right. I just wish I had my coilpack here to look to make sure, but the way you have it looks right to me.

Nipper, from the front, it's

back

2 4

1 3

Front

I'm pretty sure it's that way because 4 is near the driver and it gets lean all the time....

I got it backwards, #1 and #3 are on the pass side (sorry about that)

1-2

3-4

Per haynes thats the location of the cylinders. Firing order is 1-3-2-4

http://autorepair.about.com/library/firing_orders/bl-fo-1140.htm

They are all basically the same since the first boxer.

nipper

Nipper, from the front, it's

back

2 4

1 3

Front

I'm pretty sure it's that way because 4 is near the driver and it gets lean all the time....

That's what I thought, but I found this Endwrench .pdf, which if you refer to page 14, the description on installation of the camshaft sprockets and cam belt idler pulleys, working from the front, agrees with Nipper's original designation...

http://68.178.49.203/jon/EJ22-Overhaul.pdf

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

easiest way to remember, the cylinder closest to the front of the motor is number always #1, on every motor, every make. And no, boxer and V motors aren't straight across from eachother, just pretty close...but there's always one more forward than the other. On Subaru motors, think about where the water pump fits, its front is level with the front of the other side of the motor, so it must be on the more-rearward side....make sense? Sorry if I'm confusing anyone. The number one cylinder is right against the timing belt, on the (car's) right side, the number 4 is on the back, tucked against the starter. Numbering is right, left, right, left (unless you're Ford... sheesh).

~Erik~

**************brake

**************master

*************cylinder

***(turbo)*******4

****head******head

****light*******light