Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power steering fluid leaking under front axle...

Has anyone here dealt with power steering fluid running down all over the steering gear? The gear housing is all wet and it's dripping off the two metal lines directly under the center of the front axles (the lines pass over the metal plate held in by 4 bolts that connects two cross members at the front of the transmission/diff). It drips onto the exhaust Y pipe and stinks...

I know it's PS fluid because its red and I have to keep topping up the resovoir. All thoughts appreciated!

PS fluid seems to be leaking from two places. The first is a slow drip from the casing that holds the pinion. There is a seal between the upper and lower case sections held together by two 12mm bolts. It looks like the leak is from there. The lines and flared junctions seem to be okay.

The second leak is harder to pick out...the bottom of the rack itself is wet, mostly around a joint where a silver section joins to the center black section. I cleaned underneath very thoughly and then drove a short distance and put her up on ramps and saw these two spots. I'm trying some Lucas PS stop leak but beyond that ???

Any thoughts appreciated.

I may give that a try although I'm leery of "fix everything" products. But if it doesn't work then the rack must be replaced anyway so not too much to lose. Right now its not leaking unless I come up my driveway which is almost a mile long and has a bunch of turnouts so the power steering is working it's **s off at low speed. When I park at my house, I get a bunch of smoke pouring out of the fender wells and the hood as the PS fluid (it is definitely that and not motor oil...) burns off the Cat's heat shield nr the "Y" pipe connection. The PS works fine, unfortunately it leaks and stinks after a good workout just like me...

I'm wondering if the relief valve in the power steering pump is not working properly. It seems a little odd to have fluid leak from the pinion housing (that contains the PS valve that directs pressure to left or right side of rack) AND the rack itself. I think the rack may be leaking mostly from the left side...I'm going to tie something around the center of the rack and see if only one side is wet underneath...

• 3 weeks later...

I'd probably just get a used one from a yard if I was in your shoes. I don't know how tough it is to install but you don't want to mess up! This doesn't sound like a common problem so the odds are a used one will be okay.

I wanted to see if there is an O ring or seal at the input on the pinion casing, but its hard as hell to see the thing. Does anybody know?

I've isolated my leak to the upper pinion case. It's stopped except when I come up my driveway which is very steep and has very sharp switchbacks. When I shut the car off 3/4 mile later at my house, it looks like something is on fire under the hood.

Strangely it doesn't smoke or leak at all except going up this hill.

I've back-seated it while I did the timing belt, all pulleys and water pump, accy belts, cleaned the vent system, replaced the tiny switch and HVAC lights, upgraded the stereo to the 6 CD changer etc.

I've been too damn busy with this car!!!

I think i am just going to put in a manual power steering rack that way i can get more power!!

You really dont want to do that. First there were none available. Secondly with a heavy AWD car you want the power assist. The PS pump really doesnt use and HP when the car is going straight. It uses the max power when your turned to full lock. If you are in need of all the HP at full lock, you may want to get the car off the dirt track your driving on :-p

nipper

You really dont want to do that. First there were none available. Secondly with a heavy AWD car you want the power assist. The PS pump really doesnt use and HP when the car is going straight. It uses the max power when your turned to full lock. If you are in need of all the HP at full lock, you may want to get the car off the dirt track your driving on :-p

nipper

uhhh who said anything about a heavy car? a rx doesnt weigh that much. and they are avalible came on some loyales. theres a shop that has rebuilt one for 150.00 or i car replace my current power steering for 270.00 i would rather save the 120.00 bucks in to other stuff that add power

Has anyone here dealt with power steering fluid running down all over the steering gear? The gear housing is all wet and it's dripping off the two metal lines directly under the center of the front axles (the lines pass over the metal plate held in by 4 bolts that connects two cross members at the front of the transmission/diff). It drips onto the exhaust Y pipe and stinks...

I know it's PS fluid because its red and I have to keep topping up the resovoir. All thoughts appreciated!

I dont see anything mentioned about an RX in this original posting.

Do what you wish, good luck, im unsubscribing from the thread.

nipper