Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When the transmission is shifted from P to R, R to D, or D to R, there is usually a pronounced "clunk" noise. The car drives fine, with smooth shifting.

Somebody with mechanical expertise suggested CV joint, but said that would be unusual because the car has only done 60 000 miles.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to origins of the noise, as well as any tests that might be conducted to ascertain suggestions. Thanks muchly.

Welcome.In the old days this was a sure sign of one of the engine or tranny mounts being bad. do you hear the clunk at any other time,such as turning corners or is your car hopping around corners.
Sometimes hear it when the car is slowing down and coming to a halt. Nothing unusual going around corners. To test mounts do I just get under there and see if I can move stuff around that isn't supposed to be moving?

U joints are suspected at over 150,000 miles. I would suspect any engine mount, or the tranny mount (most likely). Keep in mind the car has 60,000 miles on it, but it is still 11 year old rubber. BTW you are overdue for a timing belt.

nipper

Speer,that is kind of where i was going but wanted to rule out mounts first. Not sure if the same holds true but on older vehicles and those with forward mount engines you could put the vehicle in gear and while holding the brake slowly accelerate,have an assistant look at engine and see if it raises say more than an inch,while doing this you may even hear the clunk.as Nipper said i would suspect the tranny mount,but yes it could be an axle and that is something to look at just to be complete.

U joints are suspected at over 150,000 miles. I would suspect any engine mount, or the tranny mount (most likely). Keep in mind the car has 60,000 miles on it, but it is still 11 year old rubber. BTW you are overdue for a timing belt.

nipper

So do I just get under the car and see if I can throw the tranny around with a pry bar to check the mount? And how does one check a CV or U joint, does one just jack the car up and wiggle a wheel around? Haynes isn't too much help here.

Had the TB done at the beginning of the year, you actually gave me some advice on what needed to be done. Cheers!

So do I just get under the car and see if I can throw the tranny around with a pry bar to check the mount? And how does one check a CV or U joint, does one just jack the car up and wiggle a wheel around? Haynes isn't too much help here.

Had the TB done at the beginning of the year, you actually gave me some advice on what needed to be done. Cheers!

tranny mount yes

Cv joint almost. Jack up the car turn the wheel full lock, rotate drive wheel slowly, it should turn slowly and smothly. turn wheel straight grab axle and shake, should be no play.

As long as you have it up, wiggle the wheel, that will check the wheel bearing.

nipper

So do I just get under the car and see if I can throw the tranny around with a pry bar to check the mount? ... Haynes isn't too much help here.

Whoops, amend that - just checked Haynes again, they have instructions (with pictures!) for checking the transaxle mounts. Something to do in the morning...

tranny mount yes

Cv joint almost. Jack up the car turn the wheel full lock, rotate drive wheel slowly, it should turn slowly and smothly. turn wheel straight grab axle and shake, should be no play.

As long as you have it up, wiggle the wheel, that will check the wheel bearing.

nipper

Thanks Nipper, that will be first order of business in the morning after downing a chugalug of coffee.