Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, I thought I saw this on here somewhere but I cannot find it using search.

Car: 92 legacy AWD auto..270k miles

AWD works, but is very slow to react... I can spin the front tires for about a second before I can feel the rears kick in and help pull the car. It does not clunk or jerk, just seems to engage after a long delay. Not a huge issue in normal driving, but really sucks in the snow.

Any ideas?

OK, I thought I saw this on here somewhere but I cannot find it using search.

Car: 92 legacy AWD auto..270k miles

AWD works, but is very slow to react... I can spin the front tires for about a second before I can feel the rears kick in and help pull the car. It does not clunk or jerk, just seems to engage after a long delay. Not a huge issue in normal driving, but really sucks in the snow.

Any ideas?

Clutch packs or Solenoid C. I'm going to guess that it's probably solenoid C slowly reacting, not the clutchpacks because of the lack of clunk. Either way requires dropping at least the tail part of the transmission for a replacement. If it's worth it to you, you can go that route. For the amount of time/money involved, I'd just deal with it.

Clutch packs or Solenoid C. I'm going to guess that it's probably solenoid C slowly reacting, not the clutchpacks because of the lack of clunk. Either way requires dropping at least the tail part of the transmission for a replacement. If it's worth it to you, you can go that route. For the amount of time/money involved, I'd just deal with it.

Is it possible that a sensor controlling the solenoid (such as a VSS) would cause it to act this way? From what I read here most of the C solenoid failures cause the car to go into AWD all the time.

It's my wife's car and concern for her safety dictates I at least give a shot at fixing it. AWD is one of the main reasons we both got Subarus, it would be a shame for it to live the rest of its life without it...(and yes even with 270k miles it runs and drives much better than mine with 180k :headbang: )

Is it possible that a sensor controlling the solenoid (such as a VSS) would cause it to act this way? From what I read here most of the C solenoid failures cause the car to go into AWD all the time.

It's my wife's car and concern for her safety dictates I at least give a shot at fixing it. AWD is one of the main reasons we both got Subarus, it would be a shame for it to live the rest of its life without it...(and yes even with 270k miles it runs and drives much better than mine with 180k :headbang: )

I wouldn't argue that the solenoid has failed so much as it is old. I doubt that a VSS would cause this problem because the ECU would throw a code for it and you'd see a check engine light (most likely).

[...]Any ideas?

While Duty Solenoid C controls fluid pressure to the clutch pack, it isn't the only thing that can affect it. Take a look at these to get an idea of how the AWD works:

http://main.experiencetherave.com:80...er_system1.jpg

http://main.experiencetherave.com:80...er_system2.jpg

http://main.experiencetherave.com:80...er_system3.jpg

If the ATF hasn't been changed recently, it might be due, and a full flush (with ATF, not additional chemicals) could help. Also, some early '90s 4EATs had a filter added in a trans cooler line; if the filter has never been replaced, it may be partially obstructed and somewhat reducing line pressure. (However, it's likely that low line pressure would show up in more than just slow engagement of AWD.)

At 270,000 miles, its just tired. If it is engaging the hydraulics are ok. The slow engagement is the clutch plates slipping, just like in an automatic tranny when it starts slipping.

I wouldnt recomend having the unit rebuilt at this mileage, I would look for a low mileage used tranny instead.

nipper

I'd go with the old Nipster here. At 270,000 miles the clutch plates should have quite a bit of wear as well as everything else being a bit tired. those engage somewhat slowly when they are in good shape and wear will just make them later. If it becomes unuseable I'd also look for used first, one of those is actually easier to find than the later ones.

I just wasted a lot of time looking for a 99 Forester tranny and since it has moved to the additional bolt holes it was tough. Along the way though I saw a number of used automatics that would have fit your car.

At that mileage I'd be tempted to drive it as long as it was working.

Well, the 1-2 shift is pretty hard sometimes (not always though...) and it does have an external filter which I have not changed. I have "changed" the fluid twice, but not done a full flush. nipper in a post today you said low line pressure could cause delays in engagement: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80703

I think I will start with a real flush and a new filter first, since it wont hurt even if that isnt the problem, and I like to start with the cheap solutions than jumping right to a transmission replacement.

I bought the car with 232k miles on it, and although I dont have any service records I found out it was owned previously by a mechanic that works at a local dealership. Since the rest of the car is in great shape I wouldn't be surprised if the packs have already been serviced, or if the transmission had been replaced (of course I would imagine the filter could have already been relpaced as well).

I appreciate all of the response on this thread and it definitely got me started on some things to try.

Sometimes the worst car at the gas station is the one the mechanic owns. After working on cars all day, you dont want to work on your own.

DO the flush, its the cheapest fix there is. The next thing to try is the lucas LSD additive (its called it cant make things any worse). After that, its just a tired clutchpack. Its not something a mechanic may touch, so dont assume it was maintained, or that he even noticed it.

nipper

If I put the Lucas additive in that would go in the transmission fluid right? It wouldn't screw up the rest of the tranny?

Surprsingly no. ANd besides, your at the "it cant make it worse" point if you are looking at a used tranny to get the AWD working.