Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 wheel options

Couldn't find what I wanted by searching, so I'll ask - why I only see Peugeot wheels as a straight swap to Soobs. I am looking for another set of wheels with snows mounted, and come across lots of 4x100 stuff for other Japanese cars. Doesn't my Loyale have 4x100mm bolt pattern? Any reason I can't use Honda/Toyota 13 or 14" 4x100's?

Couldn't find what I wanted by searching, so I'll ask - why I only see Peugeot wheels as a straight swap to Soobs. I am looking for another set of wheels with snows mounted, and come across lots of 4x100 stuff for other Japanese cars. Doesn't my Loyale have 4x100mm bolt pattern? Any reason I can't use Honda/Toyota 13 or 14" 4x100's?

Loyale has a 4x140 bolt pattern

Loyale has a 4x140 bolt pattern

Wheels for the EA-82. Pain in the rump roast in our neck of the woods. Good wheels, that is. I've spent more time refinishing these things....

A good wheel, 4X140, here, is worth $50.00 to me. That's just wrong, for stock. sigh, oh well.

Later

(I'm visualising the 12 and 6 o'clock stock holes with 4 new ones but that sounds too simple!!)

That's exactly how six lug is done. Now, you have two options, drill holes in the wheels or drill holes in the hub and put studs in. I chose to drill holes in my wheels, so I have 4 unused holes in the center of the rim.

Thanks, gd. But can you give me some more details, or a link to a template? Use any of the stock holes? (I'm visualising the 12 and 6 o'clock stock holes with 4 new ones but that sounds too simple!!)

Yep - you got the idea.

You use the 6 lug rim as a template. Knock out two studs on the hub/drum, and bolt it to the rim. Then mark the hub/drum through the other 4 holes in the rim. Simple. Center punch, drill, pound in 4 studs. Done.

Some grinding on the backside where the stud seats might be needed too, but people have used either longer studs, or not bothered and it doesn't seem to matter a whole lot.

Drilling holes in the wheels to make them 4 lug is fine too, but obviously doesn't work for alloys. I have done both, and both work well even for large tires - although if you get into the 30"+ tire range (transfer case lift, etc) then I would go with the 6 lug as there are cases where people have sheered off 4 lug rims with really huge tires.

GD

Theres an old guy in burnaby who works on peugeots and hes got a tons of wheels laying around. I got my 14" Steel pugs (peugeot 505) wheels for $25 each with lugs nuts. Hes the same price for 15" Steels.

He does Alloys for $40-45 each with the lug nuts aswell.

I beleive Alphi's euro junkyard /wheelshop in Surrey on Scott Rd. has a set of 15 inch Pug Alloys, they had em a year ago when I was looking. Not sure the price but they looked nice.

Here is a great tutorial on a 6 lug swap:

http://www.subarubrat.com/6lugconv.htm

Testy, do you have any more details for the "old guy in Burnaby"? How to get ahold of him? Peugeot wheels are obviously the easy way out but I doubt any Peugeots have ever been seen in my neighborhood let alone in the local j/y. He had a Soob once for a year or 2 but nobody needed parts so he crushed it. GD, thanks for the added info. I do have a decent drill press so drilling the hubs isn't too scary. I assume one would use GM spec studs, or is there any appreciable difference from the Soob stud?

I assume one would use GM spec studs, or is there any appreciable difference from the Soob stud?

The Subaru studs seem to work fine for me and everyone I know that's done it. They don't pull through the rim or anything if that's what you mean. Very solid and mine take quite a bit of puhishment. On my lifted wagon I drilled brand new Chevy white spoke wagon rims ($27 each - brand new) over to 4 lug. It's nice having the new powder coated rims - easy to wash the mud off.

GD

Testy, do you have any more details for the "old guy in Burnaby"? How to get ahold of him? Peugeot wheels are obviously the easy way out but I doubt any Peugeots have ever been seen in my neighborhood let alone in the local j/y. He had a Soob once for a year or 2 but nobody needed parts so he crushed it. GD, thanks for the added info. I do have a decent drill press so drilling the hubs isn't too scary. I assume one would use GM spec studs, or is there any appreciable difference from the Soob stud?

Check the thread I made. Should still be on the first page.

"The finding pugs in bc thread" or something like that.

Wheels for the EA-82. Pain in the rump roast in our neck of the woods. Good wheels, that is. I've spent more time refinishing these things....

A good wheel, 4X140, here, is worth $50.00 to me. That's just wrong, for stock. sigh, oh well.

Later

Mine has VHT flat black on them, I have to touch these things up so much, I am seriously considering powedercoating them to semigloss black (thats only if blueroo at least tries to give me stock hp back thats all I ask)