Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OBDII into an EA81 documentation?

Psyko

Has anybody on here documented an OBDII EJ22 swap? If not I'll be more than willing to take pictures of all the connectors and where they go as best I can. I can't promise perfection, but I'll do my best.

Would it actually be of use on here, or would it be a waste of time?

OMG, we're on the same wavelength!

Except mine's going into an EA82. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! Especially pulling stuff from the donor.

I know rguyver has done it with an OBDII car, I'm sure he can give us some info at some point.

I wanna hook in a Scangauge when I'm done - that will be cool!

I'm working on a harness for this swap in my spare time. I junked a '96 OBW and saved the harness for a future swap. It's a huge PITA to get the dash out to get at the harness. I got all the unecesarry junk cut out of the harness already. I've been looking for an 80-84 GL 4wd wagon to do an OBD2 EJ swap on. Someday I'll find one

• 4 weeks later...

I went out today and started taking my donor car apart. Got the dash out and a few other things done. Took awhile longer than I figured because the car had been in a front-ender and both airbags were popped, as well as the windshield being smashed and dropping shards of glass inside the car. (No major punctures in me yet!)

I'm going to try to get back there Monday (1 hour drive each way) to get more work done on it.

• 2 years later...

I'm working on this swap in my 1986 brat right now, does anyone have any advice on how to thin out the harness? The harness I have is out of a 1997 outback 2.5 five speed. Any help at all or advice on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

-SB

I'm working on this swap in my 1986 brat right now, does anyone have any advice on how to thin out the harness? The harness I have is out of a 1997 outback 2.5 five speed. Any help at all or advice on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

-SB

Strip all the loom off the harness. Leave everything that goes from the ecu to the engine alone. Then label everything that comes out of the ecu and goes back into the dash harness. Cut all those and merge them into the car.

Strip all the loom off the harness. Leave everything that goes from the ecu to the engine alone. Then label everything that comes out of the ecu and goes back into the dash harness. Cut all those and merge them into the car.

Okay thanks! That gives me a starting point! I just got done pulling the whole drivetrain in the Brat tonight, and I'm in the processes of building a frankenmotor at school which should be ready in the next couple of weeks! I'm also going to run the outback 5 speed that may go in tomorrow, I will probably start my own thread at some point soon as well!

I would be totally down for a OBII harness how too. I plan on never using an OBI again. I just want to hook my scanner into and go....plus you can manipulate OBII stuff a little better. I plan on doing and OBII swap in the BRAT so that would be way helpful.

I'm gonna be doing this swap. I will probably hit the junk yard tomorrow afternoon if the weather holds out. I'll definitely take pics getting the harness and stripping it down.

I'm also going to make a run-in stand for my ej22 because I got it through a weird deal in an unknown running state... So I can have running shots up pretty soon probably.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...