Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22T into an RX. Here we go

s'ko

will take pics this weekend.

I went to lunch yesterday and I nudged injector #1. light went away. Also the gauges mysteriously fixed themselves. Will have to find the short that is causing it to go dead.

On the way home, the CEL light went on again and it's the O2 sensor. This this morning, I tried to recheck the wires for the O2 sensor to make sure they were tight. Still threw o2 error. I got a bosch universal one and that is likely the reason that it's not happy. Money is tight so I can't run out and get an OEM one now.

At certain time on my way to work, I tried to let it boost up past 5k rpm and it would stop at just above 4k and now let me go faster. once again like related to O2 sensor. Other times it would rev past 5k no problem.

Gas mileage is at a craptastic 17 mpg. Also likely related to O2 sensor.:-\ b/c I wasn't really hitting the boost hard on the way home.

Chux, thanks for the heads up on the electrical. Will probably dig into the dash sometime this weekend. RE the cocktail. I already have most of the ingredients for the mix. Last time I did it, I had to get a case of the redline stuff so it's just sitting around.

On a side note boost is so addictive.

BW

hmmm interesting developments....

the car developed a run away throttle. the rpms would stay at around 2k or so after the throttle is pulled.

I took a look at the TPS and the painted marks were not lined up. I readjusted the sensor and it the rpms go down like it should. With the TPS set like the throttle was partially open, the engine wanted to keep fuel going into the engine b/c it thinks that it needs more fuel. This could explain the crappy mileage and the oxygen sensor.

Will see if the CEL lights up and if the mileage improves.

BW

• 1 month later...

ok. Here are some updates.

1) gauge problems are due to a short or broken wire in the cluster. I will repair it eventually but for now slapping it around a bit helps it turn on.

2) I messed up wiring the memory wire for the ECU so that ECU was not remembering anything it learns while it was on. I got it wired up correctly and it's getting around 20-25 MPG depending of how heavy my foot is.

3) HVAC systems is blowing now. There was a disconnected wire somewhere. AC needs to be modified to work w/the EJ engine.

4) got exhaust connected

5) There is another thread about this problem but I was getting some really gnarly detonation and it was due to excessively high boost. I think I was spiking at around 15lbs or so. I re-routed the boost line coming out of the compressor side right into the wastegate controller and it's nice and happy now.

6) Can't get the car smogged b/c of lack of funding b/c there is no budget for California.

• 4 months later...

Thought i would bring this back and see how the RX is holding up with the new power plant?

I just found the pics you had posted of it also.Can you redo the first 3 as they just come as red X's

Looks pretty sweet. I cant wait for the day i actually get to tear into mine for the EJ20T swap :grin:

Thought i would bring this back and see how the RX is holding up with the new power plant?

I just found the pics you had posted of it also.Can you redo the first 3 as they just come as red X's

Looks pretty sweet. I cant wait for the day i actually get to tear into mine for the EJ20T swap :grin:

I'm also just getting ready to finish my EJ22T swap in my RX but I'm using a different tranny then the stock RX box. I wanna know how thats holding up to it:)

I am still working out the bugs.

Power plant wise, it's great. I got it to pass Cali smog so now it's legal :banana:

I recently had a problem with the radiator retaining too much heat and the plastic RS25 radiator that I used melted through. I solved the problem by getting another radiator for cheap at a PAP and then running a fan full time on the passenger side.

I have a wrx OEM downpipe and the current set up is at the edge of the stock tune. I originally had a 3 inch with a single high flow cat and I would get detonation with WOT. The WRX down pipe is nice and happy going WOT.

The RX chassis needs to get some work done on it. The rear struts are gone and I have to get those replace. I am looking to see if I can do either miata or lego struts.

There is this weird squeaking noise coming from the rear that I think is related to the brakes, but I have yet to check.

Interior still has an intermittent short for the cluster. The intermittent wipers also do not work so I have to play with the wipers to get them to sit flat when I turn them off.

Overall I am pretty happy with the results. the power range of the EJ22t is great with the DR box. You can either down shift a gear, or go from high to low. Power is always there.

BW

What trans are you swapping in? And with the stock Rear Diff or something else?

I'm swappin in a '98 Impreza L AWD 3.9 5-speed box I got for $40 that I put a bearing into. I'm also hopefully swapping in a 3.9 VLSD from a '91 Legacy SS.

S'ko, you got pics of the radiator setup you're running? I'm just curious to what people have done using the EJ radiator and to compare to everyone else's setup:banana:

well. Spent a few hours stripping the harness and getting all of the ECU wires apart from the chassis harness. I am 80% done.

Ran into a slight snag with the entire project that might force abandonment b/c the wife is not pleased w/having a 4th car. :dead:

She said that if we do keep a 4th car it is going to be something that she likes. Unfortunately' date=' she doesn't like soobies. She really wants to get a classic car, but that's mucho dinero there...

will keep everyone posted with how that works out.

BW[/quote']

an RX is a classic! As is a brat, 360, older mustang......