Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How similar are the EA and EJ motors?

almost 99.99999% sure it will not work. different series of motors w/different casting and short blocks.

besides you could probably pick up a cheap EJ22 for the same price as an overseas EA82t.

Things like oil sensors or temp sensor might work, but if you are talking about head swaps and internals, I don't think so.

BW

wholly, totally, utterly incompatible. Completely different sizes of everything.

Absolutely, no. Just being clear :) This is coming from someone who has seen (via internet) a Datsun L-series inline six block (Z-car) running on a cylinder head made from three sections of two different 240SX (dohc) cylinder heads, so if it MAYBE could be done I would say so. It can't. The alternator, maybe power steering pump and AC compressor, MAYBE starter if you were REALLY inventive, MIGHT could be retrofitted, with work and to varying degrees of gain.. but nothing in the engine itself.

I cant really seem to find any info on this..
i think the similarity resides only in the PCV valves - they are identical between the two, nothing else is compatible at all. the only related idea is that they are interchangeable FITMENT WISE only, in other words you can exchange engines relatively easily since the motor mounts are nearly identical in spacing and such but the electronics and everything else is a nightmare.

a humorous analogy would be to say it's the same reason you can't find anything on "how similar are 350 V8's and EA series engines?".

i think the similarity resides only in the PCV valves - they are identical between the two, nothing else is compatible at all. the only related idea is that they are interchangeable FITMENT WISE only, in other words you can exchange engines relatively easily since the motor mounts are nearly identical in spacing and such but the electronics and everything else is a nightmare.

a humorous analogy would be to say it's the same reason you can't find anything on "how similar are 350 V8's and EA series engines?".

the flywheel bolts are the same and i think the throw out bearing is too, so there you go that's three things