Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seafoam won't water down the oil will it?

Humm? I had it running for about 15-20min i think.. Will see in a few days when i cut the grass again. I don't really care if the mower blows anything.

You should see it because the carb is old and wore so if it's ideling it has some black carbon/sooty smoke coming out of the exhaust!:lol: It's cool tho. My dad even brased a chrome tip to the exhaust:lol: it's sooo loud it sound like a harley.. if anyone want's pics just ask...

Sorry for the off topic talk..

Humm? I had it running for about 15-20min i think.. Will see in a few days when i cut the grass again. I don't really care if the mower blows anything.

You should see it because the carb is old and wore so if it's ideling it has some black carbon/sooty smoke coming out of the exhaust!:lol: It's cool tho. My dad even brased a chrome tip to the exhaust:lol: it's sooo loud it sound like a harley.. if anyone want's pics just ask...

Sorry for the off topic talk..

How much seafoam did u add to it.

Well let's see. The oil was pretty much full and i added about a enuff to get the dip stick showing 1/3 past the full line... Not alot that's the best i can tell ya..

It will prolly smoke for a while that is a good amount that you added. Also you should never add anything when the proper amount is already in there

Yeah but from the looks of it on the dip stick. it like eats the oil so i didnt want to drain a little of the oil out and add this stuff..

But i don't think I'll be adding it to the oil.. unless someone can assure me i won't wreck anything..

I personally never ran seafoam in my oil so i could not tell you if it will harm anything. But i have ran Marvel mystery oil and had good results with that.

Yeah but from the looks of it on the dip stick. it like eats the oil so i dident want to drain a little of the oil out and add this stuff..

Oil over full + thinned by seafoam + burns oil already = Not surpirised it's smoking / burning even more oil.

No one can guarantee anything. This is real life, things go wrong that aren't anticipated.

Sea foams label directions tell you that it is safe for use in the crankcase of the engine. Thats good enough for me.

I put it in my oil, ran 3500 miles, then drained it. Haven't had any problems since then, and that was a good 8000 miles ago.

You are putting 6 ounces of liquid into your oil. (how much MMO does one use? never done it) Whether that liquid is MMO or seafoam, both are thinner than the motor oil and so will dilute it somewhat. 6 ounces of sea foam into 4.5 gallons of oil is 6 into 576.

It isn't going to make your oil watery.

I poured half the can into my crankcase on the Imp right after the first oil change..since the old oil was OMG thick and black..ran that sucker for over 3000 miles without any problems. Drained it and it was fine..the only reason why the oil appeared thinner was cause it was still on the warm side when I drained it.

Seafoam MMO ATF...all does about the same thingin the crankcase...its all a personal preference . They are all detergents and if you have an oil leak thats seems small because of all the gunk around the leak..well.these detergents may make it worse...but the benefits out wiegh that oil leak...come-on..we all own Subarus and dont they come from the factory with an oil leak? Wouldnt you rather know that your internals are working right and clean and have to add a quart of oil every week or 2 or 3? Or better yet just fix the leak the right way.

I have run Seafoam and MMO in both my crankcase and gas tank for many many years on many many cars and never had an issue caused by either product. In fact many years ago back in 97 or 98 when I had my 88 GL wagon...a mechanic friend of mine ( Owned half the junk yard I worked at..only person who could figure out my smoking problem..even when the dealer couldnt and 6 other garages) told me to swap out a quart of oil for ATF with every oil change...explained that the ports are small and get easily gummed up...the ATF helps clean them..keep them clean and I should never have the smoking issue again as long as I do that.

So let me see...ran Bucky (EA82) for 5 years on seafoam and MMO...motor fine...ran Rocky ( XT6)1 year on seafoam...runs like a raped ape and no leaks.. been running Pheebie ( EJ18 ) on Seafoam for 5000 miles no issues cept found her oil leak ( good thing now I can fix that)

Humm ok, Well maybe i'll ad little to the oil and see what happens.. One thing, Connie did you ever drain a little of the oil out and add MMO/Seafoam? Should i do that? Or should i just pore some in to it at it's full mark?

I trust what you and Shannon and Daeron say so thank's guys..:)

You are putting 6 ounces of liquid into your oil. (how much MMO does one use? never done it) Whether that liquid is MMO or seafoam, both are thinner than the motor oil and so will dilute it somewhat. 6 ounces of sea foam into 4.5 gallons of oil is 6 into 576.

Try 6 ounces into 4 quarts...

That's 6 into 128. That's a ratio of 3:64. Again, not going to thin out your oil much. Yes, it will thin it out, but not enough to cause any damage.

Try 6 ounces into 4 quarts...

That's 6 into 128. That's a ratio of 3:64. Again, not going to thin out your oil much. Yes, it will thin it out, but not enough to cause any damage.

man.. shut up.:banghead:

the sad thing is that I went and did the math on the completely mis-cognated figure... that oughta teach me to go to a bar with my friends after work on friday night.:clap: