Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will running without a thermostat do anything harmful???????

So been runnin with out a thermostat for a month now and i havnt noticed any changes she runs real cool barley gets to the quarter mark on the temp gauge. And shes a turbo rx!!! the new water pump and two row rad. help with the coolness of the engine. But just curious to know if ill be suffering down the lane cause i didnt put a thermostat in it.

the thermostat should be there for more reasons than simply limiting the flow of coolant while cold. The thermostat acts as a restrictor plate on the water pump, which causes the coolant in the engine to be under a bit of pressure, even when cold. This pressure helps raise the boiling point of the coolant, and makes it a more efficient coolant. It also helps to resist what is called "nucleate boiling," which is basically flash boiling at a certain point. This typically happens in the head, right behind the combustion chamber, and can result in a hot spot and pre-ignition or other pinging.

With the thermostat in, your cooling system runs more efficiently; even if its a low degree rating thermostat, it is better.

BUT, I have run my NA car for well over a year and a half without a thermostat, and haven't had any problems. You, however, run at a much higher altitude, and much colder temperatures, AND have a turbo car. I would recommend installing an OEM thermostat. It would be best for your engine in the long run.

The oil will not reach it's proper viscosity, and may not get hot enough to evaporate the additional blow-by gasses from startup, and from running rich due to prolonged engine warm-up. All of which will lead to increased internal engine wear.

Not to mention all the additional fuel you waste by not having your engine reach operating temp quickly.

Really there's no problem running without a thermostat ONCE THE ENGINE IS WARM. It's the steep temperature hill that it has to climb prior to this state that is extremely harmful. The thermostat's main and most important function is to allow the engine to reach effecient operating temperature as rapidly as possible to eliminate the effects I outlined above.

This is the reason that vehicles which are driven very short distances and never allowed the reach operating temp are considered to be running in an "extreme operating environment" (just like heavy dust/particulate, etc) by the manufacturer. It's also why cars with tons of "Freeway" miles last hundreds of thousands of miles longer.

GD

daeron, I hope you're not revving the engine while the oil is cold :-\ that's about the worst thing you can do to an engine (besides running without oil...)

Oh Dear Fuji No.. I ALWAYS cold start the car and give it a good 30-40 seconds of "oil pump up" time before I put it in gear, and give it another 30-45 seconds of low RPM maneuvering time at LEAST before I start going at any speed.. I am very careful about waking up an engine.

Good to point it out, though.

OK i think ill go pick up a super t stat tomorrow then. thanks for the help

Go to a dealership and pick up a Subaru T-Stat and Gasket. They are way better than aftermarket T-Stats. There's a previous thread where someone had a picture to show the difference between the two.

On a Turbo like yours, I'd pay the few extra dollars and get parts that the manufacturer intended for the vehicle.

Oh Dear Fuji No.. I ALWAYS cold start the car and give it a good 30-40 seconds of "oil pump up" time before I put it in gear, and give it another 30-45 seconds of low RPM maneuvering time at LEAST before I start going at any speed.. I am very careful about waking up an engine.

Good to point it out, though.

I sorta figured you wouldn't rev it cold (you know better then that), but wanted to state it here nonetheless, it can't be said enough....

it takes a car atleast 10km's of normal driving to warm up properly

My drive to work is very bad for my car. It's about 1 mile to work... but with the colder weather coming up, I've been going outside to start it and let it warm up before moving it lately. It eats up the gas... (Turbo anywayzz, so it's not gonna get great gas mileage) but it's nice to hop in the car and see 1/3 on the gauge!

1 mile to work?? Hoofing it would do both of you a favor.

+1

1 mile trips are the worst on cars. Campus is 1 mile from my house. Only time I drive to school is when I'm either a) In a hurry and will be late if I walk or B) It is colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra outside.

My campus is about two miles for me, work is about 3. I usually go about 20 minutes early and set the choke and let the old girl warm up. My switch is warn out so I can take the keys out and lock the door while its running and also lock my apartment up without having to turn the brat off.

My switch is warn out so I can take the keys out and lock the door while its running and also lock my apartment up without having to turn the brat off.

Isn't that the GREATEST?!!!! My datsun was like that, and I carry a spare key for my soob in my wallet so that at any time I can lock my keys in the car.. MOST of the reason I carry the spare key is because I got in the habit of being able to do that with the datsun; the added security of not needing to call the locksmith is a bonus.