Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dhise's new car build

Numbchux

so, some of you may have seen the '86 GL Wagon I had listed in the FS section. well, dhise has claimed it, and hopefully over the next month, I'll be working out the gremlins, and turning it from a POS into a sweet car.

well, went to pick it up, and as I was leaving to drive it home, the HH cable (which I didn't know wasn't hooked up) meandered it's way over to the + battery cable.....and did this:

PICT3415.jpg

yikes, minor setback. well, I've got another battery.....as I'm driving up here into Duluth, I'm coasting down the big hill into town, and look down and see this:

PICT3401.jpg

stupid vacuum leaks....darn engine won't stay running. that's ok....it's all coming out anyway.

PICT3417.jpg

PICT3418.jpg

PICT3414.jpg

PICT3402.jpg

I had it idling (@ about 400 rpms) in my driveway today....and though, boy, that things spinning so slow, I could stop that clutch fan. so I used a stick to stop it, and took this:

PICT3416.jpg

got a few dents, but nothing serious:

PICT3411.jpg

PICT3410.jpg

not really scratched at all, so I think those should pop right out. if not....I've got more body panels from my '85.

mmmm.....peeling clear coat. I think it was overheated bigtime (which would explain why it had a burned valve when my buddy bought it a couple years ago), and the overflow tank boiled over....

PICT3413.jpg

but nothing a little sandpaper and an afternoon with an HVLP gun can't fix.

plans/checklist

x '96 EJ22e from an impreza (that's getting an '05 WRX drivetrain/dash).

timing belt/water pump/main seals

x radiator

x clutch

bumpers

corner markers

passenger side door mirror (you may notice in the pics....it's held on with silicone)

x rear discs

front brake pads

wheel bearing seals

fix the surface rust on the hatch

fixed body panels

(one x = I have the parts. 2 = installed.)

and......GO

no need to go crazy on the hatch and clear coat, I've become pretty good at taking care of those things... Any dent pounding is much appreciated though! Also, there is this aftermarket belt/seal/h2o pump on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230187975664&rd=1

Judging by some other threads on these kits they may not be a bad option, what do you think?

-Doug

no need to go crazy on the hatch and clear coat, I've become pretty good at taking care of those things... Any dent pounding is much appreciated though! Also, there is this aftermarket belt/seal/h2o pump on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230187975664&rd=1

Judging by some other threads on these kits they may not be a bad option, what do you think?

-Doug

I love PCI timing kits. had 3 of them on various cars. but I may just get the timing kit, and get the water pump and seals via my connection at the local subaru dealer. might save some money.

wiring!

PICT3425.jpg

still more work to do, but I moved the 2 plugs on the engine harness closer to the ECU plug, and then stripped the bulkhead harness down to just the necessities. I'll be shortening all those wires to the relays and such, and installing in the car before the swap. so when the time comes (I only have the garage for the weekend...and I'd like to do it all in a day), I can string it all through the firewall, plug it in, and be ready to rock.