Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any of you guys run H6 oil filters on your H4's?

I just found out that both filters share the same thread and O-ring size. Seems like running the larger size could allow more flow, and spend less time in bypass mode, all else being equal. I was surprised at first by how dinky the specified filter is compared the ones I've run on other cars.

Thoughts? :)

- Scott

Car Quest premium = WIX and I use it on my car since SUBARU quit using the 15208AA060 (large) filter and went to the 15208AA100 (small) filter.

Just don't use a FRAM, Multiple personal experiences (mine and others near and dear to me) and otherwise a personal and professional opinion.

Look here for your filtering needs:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Lewis

The reason for the small filter on the 4cyls is so it will clear the exhaust on the turbo cars. Originally Subaru sold the small filter exclusively for the turbo models, but in the interest of simplicity, they decided to just use the small filter for all 4cyls.

This is the article that gave me the idea.

Nice! While a smaller filter should be fine, larger is better in my book. If your engine is clogging up, even the smaller filter, and causing oil to bypass the filter, you have some serious issues.

Jack

It just happens that I'm about to change my oil, so I figured that I'd check out the filter for the H6. I didn't check all the brands, but the PureOne filters look identical. Same size, same diameter, and it looked like the same threads.

Since it didn't appear that there would be any advantage I went for the right part number for my engine, but was kind of surprised that the H6 filter was the same size.