Ultimate Subaru Message Board

emergency engine problem help!!! 98 legacy.

So I'm driving around town to pick up some packages and realize that there seems to be some oil burning. This haas been a minor problem for awhile due to a leak which drips on to the exhaust manifold, I usually don't think much of it. Then I noticed that my heat went out. The temp gauge is topped out and the smoke keeps coming. Soon i notice my oil flash a bit. It rarely if ever has done this. I stopped to put oil and and noticed that it seemed to be dripping out at a steady rate. i also added coolant since the reservoir seemed low. Now when i park my car as I get home I stalled it twice parallel parking and the second time I started it I had the most trouble getting it to turn I;ve ever had with this car. Thoughts... suggestions? Am I in big trouble.

It is a manual transmission.

So I'm driving around town to pick up some packages and realize that there seems to be some oil burning. This haas been a minor problem for awhile due to a leak which drips on to the exhaust manifold, I usually don't think much of it. Then I noticed that my heat went out. The temp gauge is topped out and the smoke keeps coming. Soon i notice my oil flash a bit. It rarely if ever has done this. I stopped to put oil and and noticed that it seemed to be dripping out at a steady rate. i also added coolant since the reservoir seemed low. Now when i park my car as I get home I stalled it twice parallel parking and the second time I started it I had the most trouble getting it to turn I;ve ever had with this car. Thoughts... suggestions? Am I in big trouble.

It is a manual transmission.

sounds like the old head gasket issue there's alot of info on this in these forums. Same thing happened to me twice on my 97 outback 2.5L. Good luck

Two things come to mind, you'll end up with an oil fire OR you overheat and seize the engine (or at least warp the heads).

So I wouldn't risk driving it until you can get a definitive diagnosis for your problems. Have it towed to your mechanic.

Sorry.

Very bad idea to drive it.

You have a 4 cylinder, 2.5 liter, Single Overhead Cam, Boxer engine.

Your particular model (Phase 1 2.5) has a known problem with the head gaskets leaking coolant and oil. This WILL cause it to overheat, and should you continue to drive it, WILL result in the complete destruction of the engine.

You are going to need to have the head gaskets replaced, and the vehicle will need to be towed to the shop or person that does it. The prices listed above are accurate so expect to spend around $1500 or more to have it done.

The extent to which you may have already damaged it is what concerns me. When the temperature spiked all the way to the top of the gauge why didn't you stop driving it? You very well may have warped or cracked the heads at this point - which will end up costing more to fix. Probably around $250 to $300 per head (there's two) so may well put the car beyond reasonable repair costs. It may be cheaper to source a used engine if that's the case. Unfortunately there's no way to tell until it is torn apart and checked.

Very bad indeed. Next time when gauges show irregular readings, PULL OVER and stop driving it. You're just doing more damage if you don't.

GD