Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all! I have my 2004 subaru legacy and it has the factory spoiler on it and back in february of this year it was replaced because it was vibrating on the trunk and sounded awful, so at that time rust was found from poor factory installation around the bolts inside the trunk. My trunk was taken off and repainted and repaired all under warranty and the new spoiler was put on and all ok ,then the cold weather comes around and here we go again, vibrating again on the trunk so I take it back to my dealer and they tell me there is nothing further they can do. Um ok I do not except that at all, so now I am thinking about calling subaru and going from there. So hit me up people what do you think? Not a happy person, I also think the body shop is not so good either in repairs, this spoiler is a subaru spoiler and it should not vibrate at all. I appreciate any comments on help!:Flame:

Hello all! I have my 2004 subaru legacy and it has the factory spoiler on it and back in february of this year it was replaced because it was vibrating on the trunk and sounded awful, so at that time rust was found from poor factory installation around the bolts inside the trunk. My trunk was taken off and repainted and repaired all under warranty and the new spoiler was put on and all ok ,then the cold weather comes around and here we go again, vibrating again on the trunk so I take it back to my dealer and they tell me there is nothing further they can do. Um ok I do not except that at all, so now I am thinking about calling subaru and going from there. So hit me up people what do you think? Not a happy person, I also think the body shop is not so good either in repairs, this spoiler is a subaru spoiler and it should not vibrate at all. I appreciate any comments on help!:Flame:

I guess, each state might have different rules, but how about changing the dealership?? I mean, the manufacturer warranty says that it is valid as long as you are in the United States.

[...]I appreciate any comments on help!

While I sympathize with your plight, you've gotten some good advice previously on this problem:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68293

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70690

Another possibility (which you may not find acceptable) is to ask that the trunk lid be replaced, but have the spoiler left off.

If you tap on the spoiler with your fingers, you might be able to figure out what is just loose enough to vibrate to cause the noise. It might be some looseness with the spoiler assembly itself, or tiny bit of looseness on how the spoiler is mounted to the trunk lid. Find the looseness in order to pin point what needs to be tightened up, and you will solve your problem.

I would be curious to see how the spoiler is mounted to the trunk lid. Are rubber or cork insulating washers used on both sides of the mounting holes as the spoiler bolts are inserted into the trunk lid? The insulating washers would isolate sound vibration and keep water out from causing rust around the holes. Let us kow about your solving this problem. Hope you get it fixed.

If you tap on the spoiler with your fingers, you might be able to figure out what is just loose enough to vibrate to cause the noise. It might be some looseness with the spoiler assembly itself, or tiny bit of looseness on how the spoiler is mounted to the trunk lid. Find the looseness in order to pin point what needs to be tightened up, and you will solve your problem.

I would be curious to see how the spoiler is mounted to the trunk lid. Are rubber or cork insulating washers used on both sides of the mounting holes as the spoiler bolts are inserted into the trunk lid? The insulating washers would isolate sound vibration and keep water out from causing rust around the holes. Let us kow about your solving this problem. Hope you get it fixed.

Thanks everyone for the great advice, for sure another dealer! I have contacted soa on this issue and discussed this and they are going to get into it for me and contact that dealer and figure out a solution, its all warranty to still and I have a exteneded warranty on this car, I have never had a problem like this before either, the car has been great! The last time they had this issue they had the car for a week, thank god I had a rental and they were paying for it. If it gets to the point of no return I will talk to them about a new trunk without the spoiler, but we will see from there. So I will let everyone know in a day or so. Thanks again for the replys.:confused: