Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ignition stuck

Hi, I am going through the typical problem inherent with many of our older subys. The ignition is stuck on my '87 brat. I tried to search this forum but haven't seen anything applicable. I know I have read of other people addressing this before. Any idea on what wording I should have used in my search. I have found a locksmith that may have a new tumbler set up, and want to review what techniqes I need to get the old one out.

Thanks, Dave.

if it won't turn to remove it and the steering wheel is locked, then you need to unlock the steering column. often times (i've even seen this with newer late 90's vehicles) you need to really put some stank into the steering wheel while simultaneously trying to turn the key to remove it. literally turn the wheel as hard as you can one way, then the other, then back and forth. keep going at it until it finally breaks free. this is of course if it's the steering lock holding you up, i just had to do this to a 1997 Legacy a couple weeks ago, took some serious effort to get out. now all is well.

It's almost always the lock cylinder assy that gets worn out.. Once you have a new lock cylinder, remove the shrouding from around the steering column, you should be able to figure out how to replace the lock cyl.

Some of them use a "break-away" style bolt that looks like it doesnt have a head. Use a chisel and hammer to break it loose, and it should be only finger tight from there. Either replace with the bolts that *should* come with the new lock cyl or use hex head bolts to save the next guy the trouble.

I wouldnt even bother with the locksmith.

It's almost always the lock cylinder assy that gets worn out.. Once you have a new lock cylinder, remove the shrouding from around the steering column, you should be able to figure out how to replace the lock cyl.

Some of them use a "break-away" style bolt that looks like it doesnt have a head. Use a chisel and hammer to break it loose, and it should be only finger tight from there. Either replace with the bolts that *should* come with the new lock cyl or use hex head bolts to save the next guy the trouble.

I wouldnt even bother with the locksmith.

I have a locksmith looking for a replacement cylinder now. Didn't look good this afternoon.

I got the steering wheel to unlock, but that is about it.

Too assure your problem just isn't key related and if it is the "Old School" Subaru inwhich your dealer doesn't have a key code to cut a new key, I recommend doing the following:

Remove the passengers side door lock. Take too Lock-smith and request a "Code Cut key"... there are numbers on the side of the lock and or what ever magic they do they will cut an perfect key... the perfect key can then be used in your ignition switch... if that fails then yes.. possible internal problems with switch. At the least your out the sevice shop charge....rather then ordering a new switch, which may not be the problem.

If you have to buy a new switch, I recommend: Subaruparts.com

Root around on their main page and you will figure out how to put in a request and they will get right back with you. Best price I found. Take passenger door lock off and take too Lock-smith and he will match ignition, 1-key to open doors and start car.

Wish I could help with info on the "How too part", but I get too do my first Subaru Ignition switch next week once received. (84 Hatch)

I opted to buy new do too time restraints and had some cash, although many have re-used from junk yard, they will cringe with the price of new...but again, time is short right now and money I had.

(New, about $180, used $60? depending on your rig, and how greedy your junk yard man is....mine thinks their gold)

If you have to buy a new switch, I recommend: Subaruparts.com

Root around on their main page and you will figure out how to put in a request and they will get right back with you. Best price I found. Will take passenger door lock off and take too Lock-smith and he will match ignition, 1-key to open doors and start car.

good luck and possibly next week I will be one with the Ignition Switch replacement.

thanks for the tips. And Murphy does rule. I went out today and tried it. It turned, and I was able to start it and get it home. I am still going to order a new one, and be done. with it. Good luck with yours, dp.