Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to do with a Turbo.....

EVOthis

I have no idea about even starting to install a turbo....the #1 question i have is that if you make your own exhaust manifold......can you pretty much use any turbo you find out there.....i found 1 in a junk yard in a relativly new car and the bearings check out and it looks really good (borg warner) but can you retrofit it....

NASIOC is probably a better source for turbo info if you can get them to talk without making absurd comments. or they may have links, write ups and FAQ's about it. i'd probably look to see if EJ22 turbo manifolds and exhaust would bolt right up, that would be the easiest option. i know people on here have done this before (turbo a non-turbo EJ22) but whether they see this or respond is another question, they aren't the most active members.

do some searching for Myxalplyx, he used to have a turbo installed on his EJ22 Impreza Outback Sport. He installed the turbo, ran some great times, removed it and the car has been dead solid reliable since he's owned.

It's not as simple as just bolting on a turbo. The turbo has to be sized to the engine. You need the right engine management for a turbo and you'll need to upgrade the fuel system.

Do your research before getting in to a project like this. If you're new to working on cars and still want to go ahead with it, probably your best bet is to swap a complete turbo engine with harness and ecm to make it as simple as possible for yourself.

It's not as simple as just bolting on a turbo. The turbo has to be sized to the engine. You need the right engine management for a turbo and you'll need to upgrade the fuel system.

Do your research before getting in to a project like this. If you're new to working on cars and still want to go ahead with it, probably your best bet is to swap a complete turbo engine with harness and ecm to make it as simple as possible for yourself.

oh im not new to working on cars by any stretch.....actually im a mechanic.....but im just new to working with turbos......

What did the turbo come off of? If the displacement was similar, it's more than likely suitably sized for your motor. Start welding up an up pipe and flange assembly. If you got the book by corky bell, you're on your way to understanding how they work, what they need to be reliable and what things you want to keep an eye on.

Most of the cautions that get thrown around on nasioc are meant for people who expect the solution to come from the box. The general feeling I get from this community, is that y'all can basically make anything work well enough for your needs. You will learn alot about the differences between tuning forced induction versus naturally aspirated motors.

Go for it and build up the boost levels slowly, while keeping an eye on temps, plugs, A/F ratios, etc.....

Jay Storm