Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spark Plug Type, ENGINE CODE P0420

I just installed a Brand New Subaru Short Block, in my 98 2.5 DOHC Outback. It had 197,000 miles and the head gasket blew.

My question is the dealer gave me NGK PFR6B-11 spark plugs? My book calls for PFR5-11, but they said these are superceded to the 6's???

I've driven it for 200 miles with no problems, until tonight the check engine light came on? Coolant fine, oil fine, seems to be running smooth? Could these plugs be causing issue's?

I doubt the spark plugs are the source of your CEL. It is highly unlikely that you would have fouled a plug in that short of milage. I use Bosch Platinum plugs in my Legacy OBW with no problems.

Pull your codes to see what the problem is. My guess is the knock sensor, or 02 sensor.

Ah ok. P0420 is purely an emissions code. Typically for soobs it is either the rear o2 sensor, or the front o2 sensor. The front o2 sensor should be an OEM from the dealer. It can also be exhaust leaks. Sometimes people using aftermarket exhaust systems/cats get this code periodically. Soobs are fairly sensitive it seems for this one.