Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trunk continues to fill with water

I had this problem with my 95 Impreza. The whole spare wheel well would fill up with water, as would the "pockets" on either side of the trunk (fenders).

I tried EVERYTHING to find the source of the leak with no luck. It really left me scratching my head. I ended up trading the car in about 1.5 years after it started, so I never got to pursue it much further....not my problem anymore:)

My best theory was that water was getting sprayed up from the road somehow through the pressure equilization vents. The stuff in the trunk would be bone dry, but the cheap fiberboard cover and depressions (as mentioned above) would be soaked/filled with water.

Best of luck,

Kevin

I had a similar problem with my '87 BMW (325). If the car was just sitting, things would be fine - no water anyplace in the trunk. If I drove it in the rain, the jack compartment and other pockets would have water in them.

I traced it to the trunk lid gasket, which seems to have become compressed over the years (duh!) and wasn't sealing properly. I went to the local big box hardware store and bought some black, tubular self-adhesive weather stripping. Think it cost around $12. I put this around the edge of the trunk lid so it would meet the existing gasket, which was on the car body. I had to adjust the latch as the trunk was too hard to close with both gaskets in place. But, that fixed the leaks.

Got a sunroof? The hoses could've come off, check behind the trim.

Got a spoiler? Pull out the rubber bung "bumpstop" on the lower side of the trunk lid, tighten the nut...and the front one too. Torque only with your hand/wrist muscles, don't overdo it.

Light cluster is a common leak point. How did you seal the new lights? Did you tighten the cluster bolts enough? Evenly?