Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Poor Heat!

I just bought Milemaker's Loyale. Runs like a top!! He also threw ina bunch a extra parts too. Cool. But....

Question for the "experts". Car blew good heat when I test drove her but on my 2 hour ride home heat basically stop blowing hot. Also the notorious "water gushing" sound from under the dash seemed to get increasingly worse. Milemaker had told me that the car had been sitting for a couple months so I'm wondering if air got into the coolant system. He also said the heat worked great. I have no reason to doubt him. What was the proceedure again for bleading the system?? Any other thoughts on what this could be. Car is in normal operating temp but no heat.

Oh, one more (for now). Shifter is really sloppy. Goes into gear great but has avery sloppy feel to it. Milemaker said that bushings are the culprate. What bushings and where do I get replacements??

I plan I keeping this one going to 300,000 just like my last Loyale. Just gotta get a few glitches fixed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

goatcheez

IQuestion for the "experts". Car blew good heat when I test drove her but on my 2 hour ride home heat basically stop blowing hot. Also the notorious "water gushing" sound from under the dash seemed to get increasingly worse.

Check your coolant level first. There is only one way the air in the system sound can get worse, and it aint pretty.

Top off the coolant (slowly pour it in) with the engine hot, running, and warmed up (thermostat open). Of course remove the cap to the radiator with the engine cold.

nipper

PS bubbles bad.

Sounds like you are leaking or burning coolant. #1 is to fill it up and figure out which one. If you are burning it then you might have either an intake manifold gasket leak (common) or possibly a small HG leak.

If it's leaking fix the leak - check the common stuff - intake manifold gaskets, and the smaller coolant hoses running to the TB, etc.

Your shifter bushings come from the dealer only. You'll want to replace all of them as it's only around $25 or so for the collection.

GD

Check your coolant level first. There is only one way the air in the system sound can get worse, and it aint pretty.

Top off the coolant (slowly pour it in) with the engine hot, running, and warmed up (thermostat open). Of course remove the cap to the radiator with the engine cold.

nipper

PS bubbles bad.

Nahh. Had the same problem on my old Loyale. Replaced radiator cap first (quick $5 dollar fix) Blew the lines out with compressed air - tons of gook poured out (somebody used stop leak), Finally bled the air out of the system and all was good. The heater core was shot but no more "gushing".

If I remember right it was something like putting the front end up on ramps and popping the the radiator cap till the bubbles stopped. I just don't remember specifically. I'd try it now if we weren't getting this freezing rain crap. Anybody else??

goatcheez

Nahh. Had the same problem on my old Loyale. Replaced radiator cap first (quick $5 dollar fix) Blew the lines out with compressed air - tons of gook poured out (somebody used stop leak), Finally bled the air out of the system and all was good. The heater core was shot but no more "gushing".

If I remember right it was something like putting the front end up on ramps and popping the the radiator cap till the bubbles stopped. I just don't remember specifically. I'd try it now if we weren't getting this freezing rain crap. Anybody else??

goatcheez

I've had 5 subarus (from 1981 my - 1998my ), never had to use ramps yet. Just put the coolant in slowly to allow the air to be displaced.

nipper

Sounds like you are leaking or burning coolant. #1 is to fill it up and figure out which one. If you are burning it then you might have either an intake manifold gasket leak (common) or possibly a small HG leak.

If it's leaking fix the leak - check the common stuff - intake manifold gaskets, and the smaller coolant hoses running to the TB, etc.

Your shifter bushings come from the dealer only. You'll want to replace all of them as it's only around $25 or so for the collection.

GD

$25 dollar bushings...no problem. How hard is the fix?? Do i have to drop the tranny or just pull the shift boot??

goatcheez

They don't always fail the same. The EA82's have a LOT of assorted cooling system deficiencies. Your past experiences are only of *some* help - remember this is a different car.

GD

Point taken. I wish we weren't in the middle of a winter storm and I'd take a peek. Thanks for the info.

goatcheez

The hardest part can be getting the shift collar to slide off of the shifter shaft after you drive out the two roll pins. I usually have to heat the snots out of it to get it to come off the shaft with an air chisel. You have to do this because of the way the bolt goes throught the bushing.

Or, you could do what I did, grind the nut off of the bolt, sawzall the bolt up and take it out in peaces (pieces, peices??? wtf my spelling is shot tonight, must be something to do with saturday) Make a bushing out of 1/2 aluminum rod stock, drill a hole through the middle for a replacement bolt to fit, put the bolt in from the other direction, it will be loose in 1 hole, but don't worry about it, once it's tight it's fine. Coat the aluminum in grease and put it all together. It makes a nice snik, snik noise as you shift and tightens it up a lot. The other bushings are easy to do, it's the one right next to the driveshaft U-joint that sucks.

My shifter used to be able to cover the whole face of the radio in 3rd gear. Now I'm down to a few preset buttons of side play.