Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

My brakes feel rather soft and I was wondering if there is anything I can check or if it is normal. I have a 2001 Forester with rear drums. I was used to my 95 impreza with 4 wheel disc brakes so I figured it was just the drums on the rear. I replaced the front disc pads about 5 months ago and the rear shoes about 2 months ago, and the rotors and drums were fine. I bought what ever the premium brand pads and shoes that they had a Part Source. Still no change in the brakes if anything they seem softer than when I first had the car. I have driven a couple of other cars (toyota and mazda) with rear drums and the breaking seems alot harder. I have checked the brake fluid and it is not low... Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

I will give that a try :)

On vehicles with rear drum brakes, make sure the rear shoes are adjusted correctly as well. Then, if you're not loosing brake fluid anywhere, the master cylinder is the next likely cause. I realize you have a Forester, but Legacy master cylinders from about 1997 to about 2002 were recalled because of the possibility of failure in cold weather.

On vehicles with rear drum brakes, make sure the rear shoes are adjusted correctly as well. Then, if you're not loosing brake fluid anywhere, the master cylinder is the next likely cause. I realize you have a Forester, but Legacy master cylinders from about 1997 to about 2002 were recalled because of the possibility of failure in cold weather.

How do I tell if they are adjusted correctly? I actually did have the master cylinders checked when the rear brakes were done about 2 months ago. I am going in about 20min to have the brake fluid flushed any suggestions on the type of fluid?

Often, a quick way to check the adjustment is to put on the emergency brake (while stopped), then press on the brake pedal and see if the feel is improved.

If so, the rears likely need adjusting.

Rear drums are supposed to be self-adjusting, the kicker is that they usually only do so when you come to a complete stop (using the brakes) while going backwards- if you never back up, they never adjust. Stopping while going uphill is probably enough to get them to adjust, as well.

Dave

I agree, get in a safe area on payment and back up and get down on brakes hard about three or four times. If you would rather you can jack the car up and take the tire off and adjust the lever from the back side until you hear a small drag, dont over do this it is much harder to reverse this if you get them to tight.

Another cause for soft brakes is you may have a cyclinder or caliper bad. If the adjustment dont fix your problem have a brake shop pinch your calipers line and that will tell you if the problem is with the caliper. If the caliper is bad when the line is pinched then it will get the pedal firm again. I assume you have already had them bled?

Often, a quick way to check the adjustment is to put on the emergency brake (while stopped), then press on the brake pedal and see if the feel is improved.

If so, the rears likely need adjusting.

Rear drums are supposed to be self-adjusting, the kicker is that they usually only do so when you come to a complete stop (using the brakes) while going backwards- if you never back up, they never adjust. Stopping while going uphill is probably enough to get them to adjust, as well.

Dave

Great, thanks I will do that tomorrow!

The button only works the lock on the lever, replacing the rear shoes should not affect this. You should have to press button in to release.

Just a side note since I had the rear brakes done I can pull up on my emergency brake without pushing in the button... Is that a problem?

Thats how they work. pull up about 3 clicks they grab, push button to release.

Before I had the brakes done I would have to press the button in in order to pull the e-brake up, and the press it in again to release it. Now the person who did my rear brakes told me to pull on the e-brake a couple of times to help with the adjustment, so I probably just got the mechanism stuck because I don't use the e-brake regularly.

Thats how they work. pull up about 3 clicks they grab, push button to release.

Before I had the brakes done I would have to press the button in in order to pull the e-brake up, and the press it in again to release it. Now the person who did my rear brakes told me to pull on the e-brake a couple of times to help with the adjustment, so I probably just got the mechanism stuck because I don't use the e-brake regularly.

Sounds like it was not working before, and now is working as designed.

Dave

There are several methods around to adjust rear drums. One is a manual adjustment. Another is the backup and stomp on the pedal, and the third is the hand brake. The hand brake method is the one that is least used in people with automatics. Thats why its still a good idea to use the hand brake even in an automatic.

nipper