Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tahuya 4x4 run, early febuary or march...

Rooinater

****Update last post****

early january i want to have the car up for a test day at tahuya. anyone in for a trip?

subaru requirements,

rear traction device (welded if stock height, lsd if lifted and m/t's), aggressive tires required.

lift is strongly reccomended, but if you have the above, you should be fine.

preferably set up your cars for crossing water puddles. cause it's probably a lot deeper out there right now and supposedly just got erroded a lot with the last storm. but overall tahuya is fairly easy.

i got about every part to fix the subaru, it's just a matter of time to put it back together and go wheel. now that i'm on winter break i have nothing but time and am planning on getting her wheeling.

Who's in?

detailed map of the 4x4 trails system.

http://home.comcast.net/~quadrapaws/

some pictures of tahuya, so you got an idea what it looks like. most obstacles are avoidable, or offshoots.

100_0372.jpg

an offshoot hill, one of the harder obstacles.... easy...

100_0382.jpg

100_0400.jpg

100_0392.jpg

some other people's pictures of the place...

Mud Lake this last weekend...

DSCN2018.jpg

come one, come all!

present situation is tahuya is closed due to that last storm, but by the time we go it should be open again. the closure is mainly because of all the motorcycle and atv trail's bridges being wiped out and washed down stream. along with other bike and atv trail damage. little to no damage on the 4x4 trails are present. but the 4x4 trails got reclosed after this weekend, because the bikes were staging at the 4x4 trailhead (no parking but along the road). all other trail heads are closed, and the 4x4 trail head is temporarly closed until it is posted no atvs or bikes or until they have atv or bike trails reopened.

if it is still closed by early january, the trip will be either to reiter or evan's creek. if that is the case a lift, mud terrains and a welded rear will be required to run the trails.

Ok I might be in. Not sure how the schedule will play out. I'm snorkled up to the firewall...basically good for water up to the windows. I haven't been to Tahuya since mountain biking...oh man what was that 1990'ish? Cool place, serious puddles. Funny the thing I remember most was riding right into the middle of a paint ball war crossfire.

Ok I might be in. Not sure how the schedule will play out. I'm snorkled up to the firewall...basically good for water up to the windows. I haven't been to Tahuya since mountain biking...oh man what was that 1990'ish? Cool place, serious puddles. Funny the thing I remember most was riding right into the middle of a paint ball war crossfire.

i'm reinstalling my differential breathers. i just run a cut antifreeze container to make a reverse scoop on the weber and make it draw it's air from the rear. i think it was ziggy or zap that showed me how to do that. i do need to reseal my disty too... nothing hard, just some rtv. they've expanded the lower 4x4 section since then. hell the place has changed alot from five years ago alone. the upper loop is closed, goat ranch road is no longer a through road, washed out at two creeks a few years ago and the dnr shut it down... i'm mainly focusing on exploring the 4x4 trail system and a shake down run of the car. i've done a lot of riding there, just not a lot of wheeling.

Im pretty interested, I have a really bad vibration up front, cant put my finger on it. Its only under load.........

I have a few things to do yet. Havent been able to find an lsd yet, I need to do somthing about my intake.

Im making a breather tomorrow and sealing a few things. Im lifted w/ 27's but still no low range. I just use speed to push threw it sux. It hasent failed me yet?

Jess

yeah it's fairly tame but it's best conditions are mid winter. tahuya is 25 - 30 minutes from my house. so if something goes wrong it's a a quick trip to drag the car home. it's a shakedown run to make sure the bugs are out and ready to rock and roll elsewhere. i'd rather have a problem on a small run and get the bugs out before i take it to reiter and evans. i know i'll have a risk of breaking a stub shaft, that's the reality of all the gearing... then i can post the for sale signs and advertise while i drive! :rolleyes: :cool: then to get the rest of the suspension parts for the toyota.

my christmas list consisted of arco gas cards, so i should have some gas money!

if all goes well and i can get it all going well, i'll be headed to evan's next, then reiter and july to naches for a campout if i haven't sold her yet.

list of things to do,

change rear diff (funny whirring noise was 2 missing ring gear teeth.)

install diff breathers and change diff oil

seal disty

clean engine bay

install pwr steering pump

replace front cv (lifetime warranty)

install new tires

header wrap exhaust

weld something minor

recheck ball joints

Tahuya069.jpg

mud lake at a shallower depth than now... very tame about everything "harder" is avoidable...

i want to run evan's, reiter and walker this winter but i want to be sure the rest of the car is in top running shape first.

hay ninjaben i think i see your stump:burnout:

• 3 weeks later...

This run is pushed back till at least febuary. I'm still slowly getting everything back together.

Do to the fact that the Department of Defense and the Veteran's Administration has not fixed the payments for my GI Bill or my Marine Corp College Fund, it has put me extremely behind on my day to day bills. I can't even afford the gas or some of the smaller parts to finish the car. Hopefully by feburary they will have it fixed... eventhough they said it would be fixed by january...

• 1 month later...

Wow a couple of those mud hole look like they could get tahuya all the way up in the drivers seat. Sorry I just tought that was funny. After a while those jokes really get tahuya.:grin: Ok no more jokes That knida looks like a place I would like to go. A place where there is lots of mud and not much for rocks.

Jeff