Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 distributors interchangeable?

if its the flapper maf, with the vac. advance, you can swap it out with pretty much any ea82 2 wire distributor. i've seen some turbo distributors with two vac units, so two vac lines going to them, but i dont think you have to have it, because i've used both kinds. but thats with the flapper maf only.

yea i have the hotwire afm. what about just changing the distributor caps? my dizzy on the ea82t is fine, its just the cap thats broken. will a spfi dizzy cap work on a mpfi? sorry about the questions, i dont have much experience with subaru's! im trying to learn as much as i can so i dont fack it up haha

yea i have the hotwire afm. what about just changing the distributor caps? my dizzy on the ea82t is fine, its just the cap thats broken. will a spfi dizzy cap work on a mpfi? sorry about the questions, i don't have much experience with subaru's! im trying to learn as much as i can so i dont fack it up haha

IIRC, SPFI caps are the same

Might try having them look it up as 90 XT 4cyl.

oh sweet that makes life easier! is the 90 xt the same as the 88 wagon parts wise? i bought a new dizzy cap, was the 2-bolt type which looked identical to the one i have. got it home, went to match it with the old one and it is identical except the bolt holes on the old cap are a few mm further apart than on the new cap. at this point its looking like a wrecked car is gonna be my best bet :-\

at this point its looking like a wrecked car is gonna be my best bet :-\

NO, keep trying. If you are going to have the car for any time, you will need to change the Distributor cap again anyhow.

Disty cap for an 88-91 XT 4cyl will be the same. Not all parts are the same but in the case of the cap it may help you get the right one. Why not take you old cap in with you when you go to match it up?

here is a link to Thepartsbin.com search for an 88 GL-10 turbo

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/products.php?year=1988&make_text=subaru&model_text=gl-10&category=engine_electrical&subcategory=ignition_distributor&sort=0&limit=0&price_range=&brand_name=&uni=1&part_name=distributor_cap

yea i took the old cap in with me but as they were closing i didnt take the time to stop and match the caps up as i should have. i saw the same two bolts, the parts were for the same engine so i got the new cap and that was that. i didnt think they would be different sizes. lesson learned for the future!