Ultimate Subaru Message Board

first off, shouldnt this be in the new gen forum??

for the most part the 2.2 is a "bulletproof" engine when proper care and maintenance are kept up with.

Depending on what year it is, it could be an interference type engine (late 96 and up from what I have read) which can mean serious problems if a timing belt lets go. I personally prefer the non-interference...

The 4EAT is a good tranny (better than the 3EAT!), but can have torque bind issues if abused - do a search for torque bind - LOTs of info available on the subject.

Check for rust in the usual places - not much changed in that respect.

EJ22's are great, cheap maintenance and reliable. if you keep it from overheating and running out of oil you want have any major repair bills with it.

what year, that makes a difference. and what mileage?

yes make sure the transmission is good. search on "torque bind" in the new generation forum and read up on how to test for it.

if it's a 1996 or earlier then it's a non interference and you'll want to replace the timing belt (unless you can verify it has already been replaced recently).

if it's a 1997 or later then you'll want to replace the timing belt, water pump and at least the bad timing pulleys, if not all of them. i replace them all for good measure. if the timing belt breaks (due to old belt, old pulleys or water pump failing) the interference engine will sustain massive internal injuries. that means a new engine or extensive repairs bills.

other than that these are solid, i made sure my wifes car had an EJ22 for very good reasons. 50,000 miles so far with no stranding or break downs and i expect many more.

From what I have read, and experienced first hand, the oil seals will start to leak around 120k. Sure enough my 2.2L started to leak at about 115k. The autos are prone to torque bind which is mucho $$ to replace. Manuals are better IMO. as stated 1996 and before are non-interference which is very good. If you don't know when the timing belt was replaced, then replace it...and since you're in there go for the water pump and oil seals too.

I traveled over 4hrs to buy my subie which is a 2.2L with manual tranny. I would accept nothing less. It has been superb, besides all the oil leaks. Once you replace all the seals you should be good for another 120k, again with proper maintenance these cars will runt till they rust out.