Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cheapest way to get the AC working again?

I've done my share of wrenching on my cars, but I've never worked on A/C stuff before. So when the car I just got came with some kind of problem with the AC, I sent it to the shop to be diagnosed.

Bad compressor. "No problem, they're a little tough to find, but we'll track one down. Its only $1100 to fix it."

Ha!

"Well, what if I bring you a compressor, mr shop guy, how much then?"

"Around $350-400 for the labor and seals and stuff."

Obviously I still don't want to spend that much, so how do I get out of this cheaper? I think I found a reman compressor online, so that's taken care of. How much of the labor can I do myself? They had to charge the system to find the leaking compressor shaft, so I'm assuming it won't have to be evacuated to get any moisture out, right?

Could I just crack it open and slap on the new compressor and have someone fill it for me? It's already been converted to 134 freon or whatever. Do I really need the "recommended" new drier? What seals do I absolutely have to have?

What else should I take into account here?

Sadly yes on the drier. The desicant in them tends to fall apart if the system has been exposed to air (ie no pressure in the system). You can chance it, but then if it does fail you can get junk all through the AC system and do double work. Depending on how long ago it was converted and how long its been dead, you could replace the O rings as a just in case thing yourself.

How long has it been dead?

nipper

as nipper says, the system has to be evacuated, and a vacuum has to be pulled on the system. this does a few things, one it removes all the moisture, it removes all the incompatable r12 oil, and it also checks for any remaining leaks, once the system its on a state of vacuum, (i give it at least 45 minuts), you can fill the system, first the oil charge , then the remaining

r134a. look for the ac specs on the hood to see how much in ounces to fill the system, or a F S manual, i have seen some air compressor powerd vacuum pumps online for 25 or 30 bucks. chiltons has a manual that covers automotive ac systems, its a good read, and comes with flowcharts, and explains the tools of the trade ie vacuum pumps manifold guages etc.

Wouldn't they have done that when they filled and checked the system at the shop today?

Not for diagnostics. There are a few ways of doing it without fully charging the system with refrigerant, especially if the system came in dead, and they already had some suspicons. Refrigerant is not cheap anymore,so they dont use it as freely as they used to.

ivantruckman said it well, so i wont repeat him :)

nipper

Ahh, ok, I got it... So a good compromise that wouldn't involve buying a bunch of "never use again" tools would probably be to just put the system together myself, then just have the shop vacuum it and charge it with the freon for me?

And its already been converted to the r134, so that shouldn't be a concern, right?

Ahh, ok, I got it... So a good compromise that wouldn't involve buying a bunch of "never use again" tools would probably be to just put the system together myself, then just have the shop vacuum it and charge it with the freon for me?

That should work. I have a vacuume pump, so I do that too. That way I know there are no leaks. You need to pull a hard vacuume. A simple way to test this is to see if your pump can cause water to boil at room temperature.

A rotary compressor from an old window air conditioner can be set up to use as a vacuume pump.