Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Totally weird, not-even-Subaru specific issue

Feel free to move this, but I can't figure out for the life of me what the heck's going on with my car.

A week or so ago, I noticed a sound coming from the bottom of the windshield [outside] - much like there was a leaf stuck in the hood and it was flapping around. So, I popped the hood, cleaned out every leaf/twig/acorn/whatever I could find and went on my merry way.

Well... the sound still hasn't gone away. The only time the sort of crackling, "leaf-flapping" noise occurs is when I go above 15-20 mph... the frequency doesn't seem to change with speed, other than simply disappearing when I slow down to stop. Doesn't matter if the car's cold, warmed up, heater on, heater off (which was my original thought - not a blower problem apparently), etc. etc. - still that damn flapping leaf sound. :mad:

Now, I could just turn up the radio and ignore it, but I'm curious. WTH is this coming from? Anyone have a similar problem?

If you have a speedometer, maybe the cable? However I dont think my 97 has a cable.

Feel free to move this, but I can't figure out for the life of me what the heck's going on with my car.

A week or so ago, I noticed a sound coming from the bottom of the windshield [outside] - much like there was a leaf stuck in the hood and it was flapping around. So, I popped the hood, cleaned out every leaf/twig/acorn/whatever I could find and went on my merry way.

Well... the sound still hasn't gone away. The only time the sort of crackling, "leaf-flapping" noise occurs is when I go above 15-20 mph... the frequency doesn't seem to change with speed, other than simply disappearing when I slow down to stop. Doesn't matter if the car's cold, warmed up, heater on, heater off (which was my original thought - not a blower problem apparently), etc. etc. - still that damn flapping leaf sound. :mad:

Now, I could just turn up the radio and ignore it, but I'm curious. WTH is this coming from? Anyone have a similar problem?

I'll bet that 86Bratman has hit on it for you. Check under the car for a loose plastic engine shield, etc. Noises that appear to be up close in the dash or just beyond can turn out to be much farther afield. My Nissan 300ZX developed a squeak that I was sure was inside the instrument panel, but turned out to be the rubber hood height adjust bumpers right at the front of the car. Good Luck!

The outer clear plastic 'finish' came loose from the chrome moulding around the windshield of my Nissan pickup. It drove me crazy for a week or more, and I could not figure it out. Finally, a big enough section came loose so it was obvious. I could not believe what was causing such a loud, annoying sound, but thats all it was. I tore it all off and the noise was gone. Not sure if it applies here, but worth a look....

Depending on your skill level you can grease the speedo cable yourself. You'll have to disassemble the dash trim around the cluster, and then remove the cluster itself. You will then have access to the cable. Use some good quality grease, not sure whats recommended for this area, and get it down in there as good as you can.

If / Then statement in jest

if this is true

"the frequency doesn't seem to change with speed,"

?

then

"then it has a speedo cable. And it could be running out of grease"

doesn't make sense.

Maybe I'm corn-fused (v.easy todu)

but

doesn't the speed-0 cable's rotational velocity change in

direct proportion to the vehicle speed?

thus-lee(sic) the frequency of the flapping should change

in relation to the vehicle speed?

As I mentioned very easy to corn-fuse me.

A simple test before tearing the instrament cluster out

might be removing the speed-0 drive from the transaxle.

Mount is shown here

automatic--> where the slotted screw is located

manual ---> in the rear location

VSSlocations.jpg

IF the Noise quits --- we have a bingo!!

Hope this helps.