Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking to buy a '99/'00 model year outback. It's the newer shape, with the restyled headlights etc... Does this mean it will have the phase II engine? or might it have the phase I. I haven't been to see it yet, so this might save me a trip...

Cheers, Nick

It seems like you're describing the '00MY, not the '99. If so, it should have a phase II engine.

Excellent news! Now for your bonus question...

It is LPG /dual fuel, and has 144000 miles on the clock. Anything particularly to look out for?

Cheers, Nick

The question is, what do "'99/'00 model year" and "It's the newer shape, with the restyled headlights etc... " mean?

According to the description, it was registered in '99, but it could have been early '00. Around this time, the outback was restyled, with clear glass headlights, and a pronounced "V" in the rear window. It looks newer than the older "classic" outback/ legacies. Hope that helps.

Cheers, Nick

The 2nd generation outback

Excellent news! Now for your bonus question...

It is LPG /dual fuel, and has 144000 miles on the clock. Anything particularly to look out for?

Cheers, Nick

I'm not really familiar with the dual-fuel models. In general, '00MY and the mileage would have me thinking about:

1) Head gaskets, if not already replaced. For that year (phase II engine), if the HGs leak, it's usually external (it will show up on the ground).

2) Torque bind. Drive the car in slow, tight circles and make sure it doesn't feel like it's binding.

3) Oxygen sensor. There were some bad ones, affecting fuel economy and drivability. Hopefully already replaced if it was defective.

4) Things that others here will suggest.

5) Everything else that a car with 144,000 miles on it might have wrong. :)

Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers, Nick

Lot of us Yanks on this board. I won't necessarily assume that US and GB Subarus were speced identically. Indeed, my forays on the web have found the same MY Subaru has been speced with entirely engines in GB and the US. Plus, you have MOB, carbon tax, London congestion tax, and a myriad of other taxes and fees to consider when buying a car in GB.

Lot of us Yanks on this board. I won't necessarily assume that US and GB Subarus were speced identically. Indeed, my forays on the web have found the same MY Subaru has been speced with entirely engines in GB and the US. Plus, you have MOB, carbon tax, London congestion tax, and a myriad of other taxes and fees to consider when buying a car in GB.
Don't I know it! Not to mention PETROL at £1 a litre - thats $9 a gallon to you chaps! Running costs on the Forester S-turbo are finally getting to me after 60,000 miles/3 years of ownership. I should be able to halve my fuel bill with the LPG, and get a slightly bigger car too. I'm not too worried by the high mileage, provided it's been looked after. I looked at a 202,000 mile Foz for the missus a while back, which drove like a (nearly) new car. Seller started playing silly buggers though, inventing mystery buyers, to raise the price

IT could be interesting. I might get a bargain. Who sells a car on Ebay, ending the day before Christmas Eve?

I've bought it! Pick it up tomorrow.

It drives nicely, with a slight pull to the left that needs addressing, but no accident damage at all! Bad alignment or worn joints most likely. It makes an unholy racket when you boot it, but that's due to the intaketrunking being loose and sloppy.

A black, oily Christmas break for me I think!