Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm assuming you're talking about the transfer drum in the 4eat.

I haven't heard too many issues with shearing the transfer drum from the output shaft on the first gen legacies. But they do have significantly less torque. The turbo legacy guys may have some issues, but I still haven't heard of too many.

gotcha, got a customer with absolutely no hint of the rear drive, most likely thing I can think of without opening it up first is that the drum was sheared off. That or the cross tube is popped off inside and bleeding down pressure. Extremely worn clutch pack will still give a hint to spin, this has nothing. i did a TPS test and it was set properly and functioning properly as well. I also kept the key in the on position while not running to make sure that the solenoid was switching on and off. Like I said, this is the only thing I can think of as the SVX is fairly common to shear them off esp. when that thrust bearing wears on the drum surface

Tom

The SVX units never aged enough to get this kind of a failure. Like any clutch pack, the clutchs will get worn enough that they wont do anything. There are a few examples of this on here. Things brake, things wear out.

You can do a fluid change to see if that helps, but i doubt it. HOw many miles on the car.

nipper

sub 200k which is why I am surprised... I have worked on and owned SVXi with more mileage than this car with fullu functioning AWD

Tom

SVX's have known tranny issues, so thier owners tend to be more proactive in taking care of them. Other subarus tend to be drive and forget, untill they act up, and by then its too late.

nipper

I would not be shocked to find the transfer clutches are still within spec... They do not see all that much action unless you religiously are on terrain in which the front-rear is always changing. on the road, they really see a tiny bit of slip every once in a while. There is more at play here than just clutches, has to be

Tom

I would not be shocked to find the transfer clutches are still within spec... They do not see all that much action unless you religiously are on terrain in which the front-rear is always changing. on the road, they really see a tiny bit of slip every once in a while. There is more at play here than just clutches, has to be

Tom

On an automatic they always see wear and slippage. Thye are designed to be at least 10% engaged. They are engaged at 50% when in reverse and full throttle (also low but very few people use low). They also are designed to allow some slippage between the front and rear axles (there is no center differential) to allow for differential action on turns. This is a alot of action they see, as a car in its lifetime spends very little time going straight.

Also from expierience on this board, and personally, and from posts, this is not an unusual failure mode. The clutches are probably glazed.

But hey its not my customer. Loss of 4wd is very easy to diagnose if a fluid change and a can of lucas additive doesnt help it out.

Good luck.

do a search on here, others have had non-functioning AWD before as well. it's not common but clutches do wear out on EJ vehicles, i imagine the SVX isn't much different.

so if he cut power to Duty C solenoid to "full engage" the clutches, what would happen? nothing i guess if the clutches are bad or that shearing occurred.

On an automatic they always see wear and slippage. Thye are designed to be at least 10% engaged. They are engaged at 50% when in reverse and full throttle (also low but very few people use low). They also are designed to allow some slippage between the front and rear axles (there is no center differential) to allow for differential action on turns. This is a alot of action they see, as a car in its lifetime spends very little time going straight.

Also from expierience on this board, and personally, and from posts, this is not an unusual failure mode. The clutches are probably glazed.

But hey its not my customer. Loss of 4wd is very easy to diagnose if a fluid change and a can of lucas additive doesnt help it out.

Good luck.

Thats just the thing. Just because the duty cycle increases and allows for slip does not mean it is slipping. It is designed so it does not bind, but when driving relatively straight (most of your driving) the transfer clutches do no slip at all, the duty cycles is merely to keep the car from seeing too much stress when it is not appropriate.

Tom