Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone used the Motive PowerBleeder?

I am using it for the first time on a '05 Legacy and am having two problems, likely related:

1. There is a large air gap in the line from the pump to the master cylinder. I have plenty of fluid in the pump chamber. I pressured checked the system at 15-20 PSI and am running it at 10-15 PSI with the fluid and it is holding the pressure with no leaks. No sure how to get rid of the air without sending it all through the brake system.

2. When i bleed the first brake, the fluid dribbles out, then stops, as if there is no pressure behind it. Yet when I check the PowerBleeder pump, it is still at 10-15 PSI.

Any help is appreciated. Please know that, yes, i have checked and double-checked connections, seal seating, etc. I have pressure to the master cylinder with no leaks. It is the air in the hose that is the problem.

I am not familiar with the power device that you are using, but when you say "No sure how to get rid of the air without sending it all through the brake system," I too would be worried about adding air to the brake lines. This doesn't sound like a devise that I would want to use.

I have posted a couple of times in the past few weeks about using a simple "one man bleeder" unit. It is low tech, inexpensive, and super simple to use. I suggest using one of those.

At the risk of cross-polination.

Visit TDICLUB.com.

Lots of folks over there use them. Most of those cars take dot 4 brake fluid. There appear to be advantages to pressure - versus suction bleeding if you're doing it yourself.

I have not purchased one yet - but plan on doing so in the next year. So I'll be following your feedback.

Dave

Thanks, but...

Even though my problem suggests I'm no expert yet, his method is not correct. He is going back to pump the unit with the brake bleeder open. Doing so, you cannot observe if the bubbles have stopped. You also do not have to pump the unit at each brake line; only enough to keep the pressure at about 10-15 PSI.

His spelling was atrocious, by the way.

At the risk of cross-polination.

Visit TDICLUB.com.

Lots of folks over there use them. Most of those cars take dot 4 brake fluid. There appear to be advantages to pressure - versus suction bleeding if you're doing it yourself.

I have not purchased one yet - but plan on doing so in the next year. So I'll be following your feedback.

Dave

I wrote to Motive and will share on this board anything I hear back from them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Ok, I recieved the product. It was wonderfull. I was able to bleed the brakes myself with no help. It say to put in 64 ounces WAY TO MUCH. I used 2 12oz bottles.

Did you buy a generic one or the 0107/1107 that is a direct fit for a Subaru?

I need 3 different adapters for my cars. I'm thinking of leaning towards what appears to be 'real caps' rather than the generic things that get clamped on with chains.

I plan on ordering this week.

Dave

There are plans to use a week sprayer and a master cylinder cap from the 'Help' rack for probably under 20 bucks.

I need to do new and antique vehicles - preferably by myself. If it costs me 100 bucks for tools (one device with 3 specific adapters) that is pretty bullet proof to use I don't have a problem with that. One time on one car and the unit probably pays for itself.

BTW some folks never put fluid in the unit - they just use it for air pressure. When I get one I'll probably try that since I need to use some DOT3(Subaru's and others), DOT4(late model VW's), and DOT5(antiques) and they don't play well together.

Dave

Since 1999, I've fitted every vehicle we own with Speed Bleeders. Easiest way for a 1 man brake fluid change. Cost ... about $20 per vehicle.

I just did the brakes for the 1st time and changed the fluid ( DOT4 ) for the 3rd time on MY04 .... Can't get much easier.

I poked around and looked on Ebay last night for speed bleeders. They are big on Motorcycle listings - not so much for cars.

I own 10 vehicles and service others. 10 x 20 = 200.

The Motive still makes sense for me even if with the necessary adapters it costs 100. I would like to try the speed bleeders on atleast one vehicle though.

What I found so far in my searching the shipping costs as much as the bleeders. Unless I want to make a pilgrimage to Summitt or something.

Dave

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it did work. pressurize the system and bleeds well.

leaked like a sieve though. the cap doesn't seal easily, i couldn't get it to seal completely at all. once pressurized mine just poured fluid all over the ground out from under the lid. no amount of adjusting the cap pressure seemed to stop it. tried pressing it by hand and such..still no dice.

anyone keep theirs from leaking? i had a healthy 3 foot diameter pedal and fluid all under my car afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

bled my front brakes again today and it does bleed very well. i removed and installed two front calipers and they were bled in no time at all. so much nicer than finding a helper or pumping the pedal.

but i still had the same problem with severe leakage from under the lid, it doesn't seal to the MC.

Generic or Subaru specific attachment?
pretty sure i bought the kit that had the subaru attachment, but i hope i didn't! how is the subaru specific attachment different?

i hope there is something different, it's extremely messy.

1. There is a large air gap in the line from the pump to the master cylinder. I have plenty of fluid in the pump chamber. I pressured checked the system at 15-20 PSI and am running it at 10-15 PSI with the fluid and it is holding the pressure with no leaks. No sure how to get rid of the air without sending it all through the brake system.

i wondered that too, seemed like i needed to bench bleed the bleeder! but apparently it's not necessary. i followed the directions, ignored the air and it worked fine.

mine did that too every time i've used it so far. it has air in the lines but i don't think that air gets "pushed" through the system. the MC seems to stay full of fluid when i did mine. bleeding took no time at all.

how did you keep it from leaking skip - did you have the "subaru specific" adapter and if so what does it look like/how does it attach?

• 9 months later...

anyone else use these? i pulled it out again and it is awesome - screw it onto the Master Cylinder and instant, easy brake bleeding.

But - it still leaks out the cap on every subaru i hook it up too, rather profusely, a constant steady stream.

Really annoying, you'd think they'd work that out before selling a product like this?

Glad i did it outside and not in my garage, not that i want fluid out there either..:rolleyes:

I had been meaning to share my experience with this - I had finally purchased one.

Worked super on my 2001 VW that I had purchased a screw on cap for.

Was a mess on my 97 Astro rectangle GM reservoir. Couldn't get it to seal.

Tried the "universal" round one on a SUbaru (takes chains), leaked, wouldn't hold more than abotu 6 PSI. A friend came over to see how it worked. It did work but the real adapter would have been better.

I plan on ordering the Suby adapter and the air cooled VW adapter.

GG - is there a good rubber gasket in your adapter?

On the van and Suby generics I wondered if it would have sealed better had I pre-wetted the rubber on the generic cap to help seal it. I would guess putting brake fluid on the ridge of the reservoir might do the same thing.

On the VW I had the correct adapter and it was a breeze (total brake fluid flush).

The van - unacceptable.

Suby - worked but not well with the generic adapter.