Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Offset Help

jbain8

Hello all I'm looking for a little help on rims for my 95 legacy buggy. I plan on going with a 29 superswamper on an 8 inch rim with a 1 inch adapter. What I would like to know from the math guys is what is the max offset I can run and still keep from replacing bearings every month or so. Thanks in advance.

Hello all I'm looking for a little help on rims for my 95 legacy buggy. I plan on going with a 29 superswamper on an 8 inch rim with a 1 inch adapter. What I would like to know from the math guys is what is the max offset I can run and still keep from replacing bearings every month or so. Thanks in advance.

A wheel with an offset of around 30mm will put the centerline of the new wheel/tire/adapter combo in the same place as the original but I'm thinking the inside of the 8" wheel will then contact the suspension. The 7" wide RS wheel just clears the struts on my Legacy and XT6. A wheel with and offset around 15-20 mm would kick the tire out about 1/2 inch but should clear the suspension parts. But this is all just off the top of my head.

A wheel with an offset of around 30mm will put the centerline of the new wheel/tire/adapter combo in the same place as the original but I'm thinking the inside of the 8" wheel will then contact the suspension.

my 17x8 +42 Rota's clear things just fine. and tuck into the wheel wells just like sock.

Don't overlook the original poster will be running 25mm thick adapters and he wants to retain the same wheel centerline value. 42mm-25mm=17mm. A wheel with a +17mm offset will clear the suspension but will increase the front track by roughly 1".

CORRECTION: Boy, then I screw this up. You have to add, not subtract, the wheel adapter thickness to the offset to the wheel offset to keep everything else close. An 8" wheel with a 42mm offset without the adapter will clear the suspension. With the adapter the wheel would need a 67mm (42+25) offset.