Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Searched yahoo autos for you.Found some but there about 200 miles away.

see link.

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/overview;_ylt=ApYdGckHyRyDJ81EamGRiPHWXY54;_ylv=3?make=subaru&model=impreza&modelyearlb=1998&modelyearub=2001&distance=300&location=Richland%20Center%2C%20WI%2053581&listingtype=used

this one seems good.

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/subaru-impreza-cars255774250;_ylt=AhF.6A4Csj.PrwmR8rAIndHWXY54;_ylv=3?modelyearub=2001&modelyearlb=1998&location=Richland Center, WI 53581&listingtype=used&distance=200&model=impreza&make=subaru

I bought my 04 obw on there a while back.It took me three weeks or so to find the perfect one I wanted. It searches local dealers and pparty ads.hope that helps.

-Kodi

WOW! Is it ever hard to find a nice '98 to '01 Impreza L Wagon or OBS to buy. ESPECIALLY if you want a black one! Or even Silver.

Fox

When we were looking for one last spring I was really surprised just how few were for sale, especially considering how many Subies I see driving around. Prices seemed somewhat high as well, mostly at the high end of KBB. In contrast, we were also looking at the Ford Focus. For the same money as a 96-2000 Impreza you could get a 2003-2004 Focus and if you couldn't reach an agreement on one there were a dozen more just like it to buy. I guess people just don't sell their Subies.

Well...I'm really getting bummed out. I have changed my selection to the Legacy Wagons. I like the ride better and the room...guess I'm gettin' old after all. BUT...I have found hundreds of rigs I really like and every #@&% one of them is a 2.5L! I even went back from '92 up to '97 and just can't find a cherry 2.2L wagon. I just LOVE the Limited's but, of course, they are all 2.5's. Most of the OB's are too. I guess they just don't make a Suby for me anymore. I would love to have my '80's GL Hatch back again. I'd like to find a Limited with a shot engine...I'd drop in a 2.2 CCR engine and be happy. Or a cherry hatch and do the same.

BummedOut Fox

I told you it took me weeks to find my 04 silver obwl.But why do you want the smaller engine?:confused: I think my outback is the 2.2 its' an h4.Does anybody know if it is? I was looking for the big engine(h6) but gave up because I coulden't find a loaded obw in silver with that size engine and low miles. I also had to drive 150 miles to get mine.But thats fun to me.

There are alot of subies in your area.Did you try refineing the seach for obw or gl? The page I sent you was just impys.

-Kodi

Hi silverracer...if you have a 2004 Outback I would almost guarantee it's a 2.5. I'm looking for a 2.2. Right now I'm looking at a '96 Legacy Outback with a bad engine. I THINK I could drop a CCR 2.2 in there....couldn't I? Would everything work the same with the 2.2 replacement?? I could end up with just what I want if this would work.

Fox

I don't know what it's like in WI, but around here, there are plenty of Subies on the road. There just aren't any for sale though. Most people around here who own Subies, keep them longer than they keep thier cousins as wives.:-p

Rofl,there are many newer model ru's on the road here(Tahoe) too but as you said few are for sale and most that are, are beat.

Silverfox,

to be honest I don't know a lot about engines.However if the 2.2 was made for that model car, in that year.It should bolt right up. The engines for 96's are called ej22's.If you could find (or already found) an ej22 2.2 I would think it's the exact same bolt pattern.When you have it out I recomend you change the timing belts and head gaskets though,that way it should be very reliable and save you time and money later.But why do you want the smaller engine?

I really think that the EJ25 has a much worse reputation than is really deserved around here. Granted, there was a major head gasket design flaw for the 96-99's, and they are all interference engines. However, if the head gaskets have been properly replaced, and the timing belt maintenance is kept up with, I can't see any reason why an EJ25 couldn't potentially last as long as an EJ22. There is a noticeable difference in power between the two, and I don't feel that the reliability of the EJ22 can justify putting one in a vehicle any larger than an impreza.

Just my two cents.

Well...I found a cherry 2000 OB Limited that I like and I got the price down by thousands. I was afraid to buy it after all the negatives about the 2.5. BUT...if all it takes to remedy this problem is new head gaskets...well...why not just replace them when I buy the car? That is...if they haven't already been replaced. I was under the impression that the 2.5 had issues OTHER than the head gaskets as well. This car was serviced at a Subaru dealer every 3000 miles so I should look to see if maybe they have been replaced. I've built a lot of performance stuff over the years but have never had a boxer apart and I'm gettin' too old to try it now. But I do have friends that are ace mechanics. This Limited is like brand new but I'm hesitant to buy it because of all the negatives here about that EJ25.

Fox

Well...I found a cherry 2000 OB Limited that I like and I got the price down by thousands. I was afraid to buy it after all the negatives about the 2.5. BUT...if all it takes to remedy this problem is new head gaskets...well...why not just replace them when I buy the car? That is...if they haven't already been replaced. I was under the impression that the 2.5 had issues OTHER than the head gaskets as well. This car was serviced at a Subaru dealer every 3000 miles so I should look to see if maybe they have been replaced. I've built a lot of performance stuff over the years but have never had a boxer apart and I'm gettin' too old to try it now. But I do have friends that are ace mechanics. This Limited is like brand new but I'm hesitant to buy it because of all the negatives here about that EJ25.

Fox

Good luck with it; remember that 105K is the magic number for when the timing belt (and associated other items as needed) should be replaced. Very important on an intereference engine.

I think the ej 25 is whats in my 04.And the ej22 is in my 99.the ej25 has way more power if you ask me.And I had many probs with the ej22 yet no probs whatsoever with my 04.It is the source of arguement here wheather the ej22 or ej25 is better.I personaly want nothing to do with 22's others on here want nothing to do with 25's.Also the leather in my 04 is similar to an obwl.I love the leather,and prob will never buy another without it.I would buy that if I were you.If you found a mint obl you should buy it as it's prob way more reliable than taking a doner car and puting an engine in another car.

-Kodi

This Limited is like brand new but I'm hesitant to buy it because of all the negatives here about that EJ25.

Fox

Don't let us sour you on the car, Silverfox. Hey it's a Subaru, right? You say this car is "like brand new" and you like it and you've got a reasonable price going. Do it. Get the car.

I feel comfortable saying that (even though I'm a hard-core 2.2-ist) simply because your eyes are wide open. You're aware of what could happen and it sounds like you'd be willing to take corrective action if/when needed.

Just be aware of any HG symptoms and have a few dollars set aside for replacement if it becomes necessary. From what I've read here, the new design head gaskets may well solve the problem for the rest of the life of the car.

I think most of us are "anti 2.5" because we hate to see some poor soul buy what they think is a wonderful car and then get blind-sided by an out-of-the-blue HG failure.

It's your choice of course. Research the car thoroughly, talk to the former owner if possible, check its record with the dealership that cared for it, have an independent mechanic inspect it.

But don't let us run you off!

Just my $.02. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

yes, you could swap in the 2.2. should plug and play but at least you can swao the intake over if necessary.

2.2 should not be hard to find out of some wreck or junker, generally they go for 200,000 miles before they need anything serious(water pump)

if you have heard of cindy's subaru heaven in cambridge i'm sure you could get a fairly low mile motor from them, although the guy is a but stubborn to haggle with. but if you find a 2.5 legacy with a bad motor and a good price then overall it would be worth the trouble

• 5 months later...

Saw a beautiful Soob travling down the road the other day. Don't know the year guessing maybe late 90's / early 2000 Outback 4 door sedan with an H6.

Nice shape too. No for sale sign on it though. If I wasn't married I'd been following the the car to beg the woman driving it to marry me, or at least sell me the car.:lol: