Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want to paint my car any suggestions?

I have gone to macco to get an est. on painting my brat. They quoted me 1350.00 :-\ (Right now it has been painted with spray paint) Spray paint fades in the direct sunlight and smudges with the rain at times even with clear coat.

Does anyone know where I can go that may be a little cheaper, but still get a good paint job and real clear coat?

i have seen good results with rattle cans and TONS of wet sanding. this is a cheap way to go however you're probably looking into putting 2 solid days worth of man hours to complete it.

i would recommend saving up and waiting until you can afford to get a decent paint job that will last... otherwise, just keep spraybombing it and hope people don't stand to close when they look at it...:-p

I painted my 360 myself. I used a harbor freight cheapie spray gun and 2 quarts of rustoleum enamel thinned with mineral spirits. It came out ok, about on par with the cheap single stage enamel that you get from maaco, earl scheib etc. Click on my photos to see it. Rustoleum is actually about the same quality paint that was used on 360's new so it worked out ok.

A lot of people have been painting cars with thinned out rustoleum and a roller. You have to use a really high quality foam roller and thin the paint down a lot. It takes a lot of coats to cover with lots of wet sanding between coats. It comes out pretty good. Do a google search on something like "paint car with rustoleum" and you should find some links.

i have painted a lot of cars and would offer you this based on your budget limitations.

prep the car yourself. this is 90 percent of the job and depending on the conditon of the body, you can do most of this at home for probably less than $200. based on your abilities, the equipment you have and expectations (how good a job you want) plan on spending anywhere from 10 to 40 hours.

The cost for you and me to do a full on paint job (body work and paint) is around $1000. i have a very long thread on this process over at Binder Bench (Just Internationals web site).

If however you are able to undertake and complete all the prep work, it should be possible to get paint on the car for about half the original bid.

ps. as i write this, am teaching my son how to paint. we are working on 81 brat.

What happened to the pajama paint job? They didn't come through for the advertising or what?

I had to change the design so I did not get sued. A little known thing called copywrite infringment.

Oh by the way I added more pics of what it looks like now..... Or before the color fadded and the paint ran in some areas.

And the problem with adding more and more paint is that it cracks a lot and just looks bad.

I wanted to paint it a solid neon green and get magnetic graphics placed on the car that I can remove and change around when needed.