Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I finally figured out why my car won't idle well

Hey all,

So I finally did a compression test today. I think i know why my car won't idle for crap. Here are the numbers.

#1 90 psi

#2 30 psi

#3 90 psi

#4 90 psi

These are all approximate, but in the ballpark of what i got.

2 questions now. is around 90 psi good for a '74 1400? Number 2, what are the likely causes for the 30 psi reading? i'm not smoking or anything like that, which leads me to believe that it is probably a piston ring, or valve issue.

Anyone have leads on the rebuild stuff i would need for the pistons, or a cheapish crate motor?

Thanks,

-Dusty-

They are fairly easy to come by. They are in 78-80 Brats 77-79 wagons. Some 80's hatches and wagons came with the EA-71 in them. Heck if you were a little closer I have one sitting on the floor of my garage. It had just had a head job done on it when I took it out of a 79 Brat. It is easier to find parts for them than the 1400 you have. Yours is probably the EA-63. Just find a Brat or wagon sitting around and go from there. Got to be one sitting around there somewhere.

I think you will find the EA71 engine will not simply be a 'bolt on' job. The gearbox for the 74 1400 is quite different to the later 1600 models. It can be done but I think you need to 'space' the gearbox from the bell housing. The transmission main shaft is straight in 1974 gearboxes, from 1975 it is on an angle.

I agree with subiemech85, first thing to do would be to adjust the valves then re-check your compression numbers.

I think you will find the EA71 engine will not simply be a 'bolt on' job. The gearbox for the 74 1400 is quite different to the later 1600 models. It can be done but I think you need to 'space' the gearbox from the bell housing. The transmission main shaft is straight in 1974 gearboxes, from 1975 it is on an angle.

I agree with subiemech85, first thing to do would be to adjust the valves then re-check your compression numbers.

That's right.

You will also have a tricky time with the linkage and fit in the tranny tunnel as I've been told from a guy who's done it several times.

I might be doing it to.

As for 1400's there's supposedly some that Bryan Thompson came across but never relayed any real info on. He kind of left it so we need to go through him which doesn't help any of us since he apparently no longer uses the email address once attatched to this board and does not reply to PM's. Or he's just being a weenis to me personally.

Lucky me,I just found the number from a guy...long story short,I just scored a crate 1400 from good ol' Bryan T's neighborhood. I'd had the guys number for years and finally found it when I got this '74 that just got here.

Let me know if you dump your 1400,please. I have the copper shims and factory headgaskets,etc. I will not be giving any up,sorry. I'm lucky to have what I do. Also have new heads so I'm hungry to get a 1400 rebuilt. Ignore all the talk. If you set your 1400 up properly and keep it from overheating it'll be just fine.

Also,I'm onto another lot of old dealer stock.I've already had my hands in this lot and am totally sure there's s heap of those copper shims for these engines. The guy has to get back to me so hopefully pretty soon I'll be wrapping that up and have better news for you should you choose to try to keep it going.

If you could find a 1300 you might be doing even better. I'm looking for at least one really good one. We have one here that needs a rebuild. More reliable,best economically.

Sounds like an exhaust valve has gone, 2 things you can do

1; if parts are still available ie head gaskets and valves give it a head job and regrind your valves into the head.

2; as mention before retro fit a 1600, not that difficult but you need to swap the bellhousing off the 1400 onto the 1600, it does fit up trust me, use the 1400 flywheel and space it out about 5mm -1/4 inch and find a bearing you can press into the flywheel to use as a spigot bearing.

i am pretty sure that is all you need to do it has been over 20 years since i did it.

Thierry

Sounds like an exhaust valve has gone, 2 things you can do

1; if parts are still available ie head gaskets and valves give it a head job and regrind your valves into the head.

2; as mention before retro fit a 1600, not that difficult but you need to swap the bellhousing off the 1400 onto the 1600, it does fit up trust me, use the 1400 flywheel and space it out about 5mm -1/4 inch and find a bearing you can press into the flywheel to use as a spigot bearing.

i am pretty sure that is all you need to do it has been over 20 years since i did it.

Thierry

I want to pull the head and go from there, but can i do it without pulling the motor?

Yes you can. You can pull the head on an EA81 without pulling then engine so i would assume you even have more room on an EA63. Just drain your coolant, pull the intake being VERY careful not to break the bolts off in the head. Unbolt the exhaust and then pull the head. If your going to go that far though do both sides.

WARNING WARNING WARNING, once you remove the heads do not , repeat do not turn the motor over, very good chance of pushing the liners out when the motor turns and you may have problems with the seal under the liners, they might start to leak water into the oil.

Thierry

WARNING WARNING WARNING, once you remove the heads do not , repeat do not turn the motor over, very good chance of pushing the liners out when the motor turns and you may have problems with the seal under the liners, they might start to leak water into the oil.

Thierry

thanks for the heads up. can anyone with a 1400 confirm if they will come off without pulling the motor? to me there doesn't seem to be enough room.