Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is this info accurate?

Ratinda, that is an excellent link!!

It must have been posted before but even so

I thank you for the link.

I wish I knew enough to say it's all correct.

Me too. with the current car issues i'm thinking about going to a EA71 if it is that easy.

One thing i wonder. It says i need the EA71 bellhousing, so i'm guessing they mean to swap the parts from the EA63 tranny into the 71 bellhousing, but i'm only assuming. If that is the case, what is stopping someone from just using a ea71 tranny?

I believe you need your EA63 bell housing with the EA71.

Basically, I think you need to use the EA71, you need to run the full EA71 engine but use the clutch/bellhousing/flywheel/etc. from the EA63. You may need to use the distributor/alternator/etc. setup from your EA63, but the carb might not matter as much.

this is going to sound very ignorant, but when we are talking about the bellhousing... what exactelly is it?

Its the big "bell" shaped thing between the engine and trany. the engine bolts to it. It houses the flywheel and clutch or torque converter. The starter also bolts to the bell housing.

nipper

That's what i thought, but it looks to be the tranny case as well. am i incorrect in this assumption?

They come in different combinations. A few of them have two halves (other makes) but generally yes its attached to the transmission.

nipper

Lot of good information about different EA engines. I hate to bring up the fact that the author does not even talk about the differences between early and late EA71s. Honestly there are a lot of differences in the bottom end between the Vintage EA71 and the "Fat case" ea71. Since I have a plethora of both styles of ea71s lying around I can go into more detail on the differences if anyone needs the info.

MOST importantly the flywheel bolts on ea71s is 8MM and on ea81 is 9MM

The oil pump on EA81's has a lot more output.

Crank journal sizes are different, etc..

EA71 and EA81 Head gaskets are different too.

-Mike

(Dont want to be a downer, just informing people to check hardcopy reference material before believing it all online)