Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Legacy MT Cruise Control Install can't find harness ?

I have a 1992 Legacy MT and I bought the cruise parts which included everything under the hood vaccuum pump throttle cable thing the computer for under the right hand side of the dash and the switch in dash and the switch for under the horn. Installed everything and went smooth but the computer came to me from a Manual Transmission with two connecters on it but when I look underneath the glove box area and find all the wires and harnesses I can't find two plugs to connect to this it has a black one which is 8 pins 4 on top of each other forming a rectangle and then there is a blue plug which looks more like a T shape with 2 pins and the 4 below it. I can't find a blue plug to match that anywhere Is it necessary to have it pluged in? I pluged in what I could and my dash switch lights up I tried to use my Cruise Control when I push in the dash switch I can hear a click under the right side of the dash by the computer but it isn't working. I'm guessing I might need a brake switch / clutch switch but I'm not sure. Any ideas ? I will appreciate any input as I'm trying to tackle this tomorrow.

Thanks

LaVonne:-\

Hi, I'm sorry if I'm not doing this right I just don't know what to do next. I've searched the boards and haven't found a clear answer so because I'm new at this and rather ignorant here is a photo of my cruise control computer and the two relays that are attached to it. I cannot find the blue relay connector and don't know if it's necessary. I have a 1992 Legacy MT that didn't have cruise I bought the parts from someone here and when it arrived it had the two relays attached I cannot find any plug to fit into the blue relay but am also not certain if it's necessary for my car I've read through the wiring diagrams and other information and just can't figure it out. Sorry to repost my question but I thought a picture would help

Thanks so much,

LaVonne

I'm hoping to get cruise installed as my MS makes driving long distances rather uncomfortable without cruise.

20071119_068.jpg

find the clutch switch and hook the 2 wires together. it bypasses the switch (which you can leave it this way or just do it for testing purposes) and make sure you got the 4 wire brake switch cause if you are still using the 2 wire one it won't work. if it clicks worry about the other suff first then go back to the cruise computer.

The harness for the 4 wire brake switch is real close to the 2 wire one...you just have to look for it (if you don't have the 4 wire switch you can work around that too...just let me know) ;)

I have done this 2x so I have been down your road before.

Hi, I'm sorry if I'm not doing this right I just don't know what to do next. I've searched the boards and haven't found a clear answer so because I'm new at this and rather ignorant here is a photo of my cruise control computer and the two relays that are attached to it. I cannot find the blue relay connector and don't know if it's necessary. I have a 1992 Legacy MT that didn't have cruise I bought the parts from someone here and when it arrived it had the two relays attached I cannot find any plug to fit into the blue relay but am also not certain if it's necessary for my car I've read through the wiring diagrams and other information and just can't figure it out. Sorry to repost my question but I thought a picture would help

Thanks so much,

LaVonne

I'm hoping to get cruise installed as my MS makes driving long distances rather uncomfortable without cruise.

20071119_068.jpg

As a follow up I believe I've determined the blue relay based on part numbers is indeed the relay for an AT and as I mentioned I have a MT the strange thing is I thought I would find that plug as I thought everything was plug and play and that the wiring was in place for either transmission perhaps I am wrong. I need the clutch and brake switch I believe or do I just need a brake switch any thoughts? Thanks again LaVonne

I would love to know how to work around the brake switch just for testing purposes the brake switch has been harder to find although a dealer about 2 hours away has it in stock but in order to same the time to drive to get it not knowing if I'm ready to go I would love to figure out how to work around the brake switch. Am I correct in assuming one of the two relays shown isn't going to be hooked up? I'll insert a picture to see if you can understand what I'm saying I posted it above in a new topic trying to get some help. Here is the picture the black relay according to my research is for MT and the blue for AT so I pluged in the black one and have been working from this point forward. LaVonne

20071119_068.jpg

find the clutch switch and hook the 2 wires together. it bypasses the switch (which you can leave it this way or just do it for testing purposes) and make sure you got the 4 wire brake switch cause if you are still using the 2 wire one it won't work. if it clicks worry about the other suff first then go back to the cruise computer.

The harness for the 4 wire brake switch is real close to the 2 wire one...you just have to look for it (if you don't have the 4 wire switch you can work around that too...just let me know) ;)

I have done this 2x so I have been down your road before.

brake switch rigging: keep the 2 wire one hooked up and find the harness with the 4 wires in it. Look at the color of the wires and find the 2 wires in it that are not the same colors as the 2 wires in the 2 wire setup. Bridge them together with a small piece of wire and make sure the brake lights are not on. Now go drive the car. Make sure the brake light still go on when you use the brake and if I remember correctly this will make the system work. Get this: if you leave it this way it will work when you press the brakes to cancel the system...don't know why but it does. I did both of my former cars this way (I have never had a 4 wire switch)

The clutch one I just cut the connector off and put the 2 wires together. You will lose the function of this switch but duh don't ever hit the clutch with the cruse on :lol:

Let me know how you make out.

Well that sucks do you know if there is anyway to make this work it seems to me I saw something legacy777 did

According to my available info:

87022AA190 is for '91-'94 non-turbo auto (4EAT)

87022AA200 is for '91-'94 non-turbo manual (5MT)

87022AA310 is for '91-'94 turbo auto (4EAT)

87022AA320 is for '91-'94 turbo manual (5MT)

Somebody just told me that it appears from my part number that I have the computer for an Automatic instead of a manual transmission so I'm going to have to figure out how to work around this too...my little project gets more complicated as I keep going.

brake switch rigging: keep the 2 wire one hooked up and find the harness with the 4 wires in it. Look at the color of the wires and find the 2 wires in it that are not the same colors as the 2 wires in the 2 wire setup. Bridge them together with a small piece of wire and make sure the brake lights are not on. Now go drive the car. Make sure the brake light still go on when you use the brake and if I remember correctly this will make the system work. Get this: if you leave it this way it will work when you press the brakes to cancel the system...don't know why but it does. I did both of my former cars this way (I have never had a 4 wire switch)

The clutch one I just cut the connector off and put the 2 wires together. You will lose the function of this switch but duh don't ever hit the clutch with the cruse on :lol:

Let me know how you make out.

You definitely have an AT computer based upon the part #. The black connector is the main relay. The blue connector is the inhibitor relay. You still need another relay for the clutch relay. You could probably work around this, but it still sounds like you've got other issues that need to be fixed. Having not tried using the AT computer I can't say for sure whether it would work. However I could have sworn someone on www.bbs.legacycentral.org used an AT computer and got it to work.

How good are you with reading wiring diagrams and electrical stuff in general? If you're not that strong, you may want to just try and find the stuff from a MT car.

Also, I'm going to combine your two threads, so all the replies are kept in one spot.