Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What motor is in this car.

all hatchbacks are just like all brats.ea81.

now, are you calling a three door a hatchback?

who knows.when you are looking at the motor does it appear to have timing belt covers?i am not being a smartass ,just saying that there are numerous questions like this asked daily.the search is your friend.

the motor designation is on top of the motor in front.possibly covered ny grease.does it have power steering,because that could obstruct your view.it would be an ea81 designation , or ea82 designation.

just a little info for ya.but generally if it is a d/r tranny7 with a 5 spd it would be an ea82(timing belts)and would not be considered a hatch.it would be a three door.and look like an rx in bodystyle.some people have been known to call wagons hatchbacks as well.

get a pic.sure determination.cheers, brian

Here is the story...im on my way to pick up this "new" subaru, and they guy calls 5 min before i get there and said the car im about to buy is being towed as we speak. So I turn back around wondering what this car is, if its a hatch or what. Cause i was pretty sure hatches came with a 4 speed and an EA81. So this is really killing me thinking it might be a different car with an EA82, This 3 door you speak of, are there any pics of a 3 door lifted 4x4 out there?

Hopefully the guy will call tomorrow and i can go get it from the impound lot.

If it's a 5 speed, then yes it's an EA82 "3 Door Coupe"..... looks a bit like an old school 80's Integra

Have you seen an RX? Same body but it would have the DL trim which means no body kit, quad sealed beam headlights, etc.

Wouldn't be a real good choice for an lifted rig IMO. Not short like a hatch, wrong motor, and wrong transmission. Lack of guages in the DL trim, etc. Would need a lot of work to make it usable to my standards anyway.

GD

What gauges does the DL not come with? also why would you say its not a good car to lift?

They are all the same...GL and DL, Body/Drive Train wise (Not saying that DLs have D/Rs). All the GL and DL are trim levels. You can take a lift out of a GL and put it straight into a DL.

GD just doesn't like DLs because they don't have things like a tachometer and volt-gauge (I think). And they are bare bones. In my opinion, they'd be better for off-road because they don't have the extra weight that is power windows, door-locks and what-not. I know, I know...like 10 lbs of stuff. You just have to swap a dual range.

And with the dual head light setup you have more head lamp options.

What gauges does the DL not come with? also why would you say its not a good car to lift?

Because it's just a lot easier to start with a car that's already got a Dual Range, Tach, Oil Pressure, and Voltage gauges.

Plus the EA82 isn't suited to off-road conditions like the EA81 is. The timing belts are small and weak, and they are more difficult and time consuming to work on for very little gain in power over the EA81.

Some will argue, but that's my opinion.

The rear hatch glass on the 3 door is heavy and difficult to find should you break it. Also a drawback IMO.

GD

Plus the EA82 isn't suited to off-road conditions like the EA81 is.

The rear hatch glass on the 3 door is heavy and difficult to find should you break it. Also a drawback IMO.

GD

Not arguing with ya. I agree with the ea81 being better offroad, I thought the conversation was about GL and DL offroading.

But the Hatchbacks have a shorter wheel base. And if it's only used for offroad a cellophane window wouldn't hurt:lol: . But if you use it for on and off road, then you best be careful with the rear window.

Johnson']But the Hatchbacks have a shorter wheel base. And if it's only used for offroad a cellophane window wouldn't hurt:lol: . But if you use it for on and off road' date=' then you best be careful with the rear window.[/quote']

The EA82 three door has the same wheel base as the wagon, and sedan. It's the EA81 hatch that is shorter, not the EA82.

I've seen pictures of them lifted, with custom canvas covers in place of the whole hatch..... but that's a lot of work that I wouldn't do.

GD