Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When its below –5 C/23 F, the clutch slips. But only in 3rd gear. It happens only with the first few take-offs in the morning. I can put a lot more load on the clutch in 2nd gear when accelarating, but it never slips then. It also never slips in 4th, but it’s not easy to put on a lot of load in 4th. I tried to slip it in 1st, no “luck”. After a few minutes in the morning, the clutch is OK and feels almost like new. Other than for diagnostics, I drive like a grandpa. Could that maybe point to something inside the transmission. It’s a 98 legacy 195000 km. I had a 1983 Fiat Panda that had slippage only when warm. Different materials there? thanks

You actually put more load in the higher gears, but the reason you probably can't get it to slip is because the engine doesn't have enough torque.

Chances are they may be some contaminents on the clutch/flywheel that are causing your problems. If it only happens when cold for the first few minutes of driving, I'd probably just try and live with it, because other then that, you'll need to probably replace the clutch.

Remeber that the cold can do weird thigs to cars. Things that happen in biiter cold need to be montiored, but arent necassarily a problem.

The clutch test is to try to start off frem a dead stop in 4th or 5th gear. if the car stalls the clutch is fine. If you can do it, its time to start budgeting for a clutch. The test doesnt mean the clutch is going to go out tomorrow, or even next week, just something to plan for.

If it only does it when its bitter cold, I wouldnt worry.

I had a civic that would do the opposit, in heavy traffic the clutch would slip in 3rd geag (stop and go). There was nothing wrong with the clutch, it was just getting hot.

I would just blame this on the cold, be aware of it, give the clutch time to warm up, and see what happens when the weather warms up.

nipper

could it be the clutch cable

needs a lower viscosity grease

gums up in the real cold and does not let

the pressure plate release all the way?

If this is the case try to not let the clutch

slip as you may glaze the lining.

I don't know what this is worth, but a couple of years ago my Outback Wagon rolled after I had parked it in gear on a slight incline. The temp that morning was -36. It slipped a little starting out from a stop a couple of weeks later on a -29 morning. After that I had no problems for several months, then the clutch did go out. That was at 175,000 so I figured it had done its job.

Cold seems to be a factor.

Thanks for the comments. The clutch feels like it has still a lot of meat on it. However I don’t really trust my feelings. If it stays that way, not a problem. The cable is in good condition and moves without apparent friction. I have to accelarate quickly when I leave my driveway for the road, they come behind me at 100km/h or more. So its not easy to spare the clutch. Thanks again.