Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet another Subaru Buggy idea

mikie

Started this one almost 2 years ago, after a few 2 seater buggies i thought about trying to squeeze 4 seats in. Stalled a bit, bought a house, stalled some more, just getting back into it with a long way to go yet.

Engine is JDM EJ20 turbo, with 4 speed auto trans. Front diff upside down, rear is subject to as yet unproven theory of the 4eat being reversable with some modification. So far so good, although its not that sporty looking because of the 4 seat layout.

Final ground clearance 10-12", wheelbase 2m, overal length 3.3m.

DSCF2917_6x4.jpg

DSCF2896_6x4.jpg

DSCF2897_6x4.jpg

Looks like a lot of fun. Would love to talk to you about how your reversed trans is working. Are there subaru trans that are easier to reverse than others. How are you reversing it? Is it possible to swapp the ring and pinion? Like in VW transaxles. I would like feed back from anyone who Knows. Please Email me or reply Sandhack39@charter.net

Looks like a lot of fun. Would love to talk to you about how your reversed trans is working. Are there subaru trans that are easier to reverse than others. How are you reversing it? Is it possible to swapp the ring and pinion? Like in VW transaxles. I would like feed back from anyone who Knows. Please Email me or reply Sandhack39@charter.net

The power flow through the transmission is similar to any other auto until the output shaft. The rear output has a wet clutchpack which can be locked up to drive the rear wheels (for me that will be the front wheels), and also 2 gears that transmit drive directly to the front wheels (my back wheels) via a long pinion shaft that runs down the side of the transmission to the built in differential. My plan is simply to replace the 2 gears with sprockets and a chain.

AFAIK only the 4EAT can do this, as the manual box is built quite differently.

Thanks to the others for the encouragement, and as for street legal, i have picked up a fiberglass volkswagon baja body, which just happens to be the same wheelbase. When its all ironed out i intend to repeat the build for the road :) Two seater for that one, and im thinking a later EJ205 engine or maybe 6 cylinder goodness ;)

Awesome idea.

I'll confirm the D/R manuals cannot have the diff flipped the reverse direction. The S/R maunals might be able to though.

I really gotta have a look in one of those 4EAT's some time.

I am Knew to subaru transmissions could you explain to me the difference between a D/R and a S/R. I am looking for an alternative to the very expensive mendeola for my play sand cars. These sound like with a little thinking we could make this happen. thanks for the help Rob sandhack39@charter.net

To go into more detail:

Dual range models have a pass through shaft above the front differential that is geared 1.5:1 or there abouts which decrases the drive ratio thus giving better gearing once engaged.

The reason you cannot flip the front diff is because this gear shaft is right in the way.

Here are two images that might help you understand what I'm talking about

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ea82gearbox_centerdifflock_casingsplit_leftside.jpg

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ea82gearbox_centerdifflock_casingsplit_rightside.jpg

The second image shows the input shaft from the clutch which then goes through the low range gears then to the input side 1st-5th gears including the straight cut reverse gear..

The first image shows the front diff with crown wheel and pinion shaft along with the output side gears.

To flip direction of a differetial you need to put the crown wheel on the other side of the pinion, FYI.

To go into more detail:

Dual range models have a pass through shaft above the front differential that is geared 1.5:1 or there abouts which decrases the drive ratio thus giving better gearing once engaged.

The reason you cannot flip the front diff is because this gear shaft is right in the way.

Here are two images that might help you understand what I'm talking about

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ea82gearbox_centerdifflock_casingsplit_leftside.jpg

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ea82gearbox_centerdifflock_casingsplit_rightside.jpg

The second image shows the input shaft from the clutch which then goes through the low range gears then to the input side 1st-5th gears including the straight cut reverse gear..

The first image shows the front diff with crown wheel and pinion shaft along with the output side gears.

To flip direction of a differetial you need to put the crown wheel on the other side of the pinion, FYI.

Thanks for the pics that gives me a pretty good idea. Do you have any pics of a S/R Trans. opened up I dont want to be a thread stealer but i think this is all pretty relevant. Thanks for all the help

Do you have any pics of a S/R Trans.
No sorry, I have seen a pic of an 01 WRX box opened up which are pretty much just a S/R box. but I don't know where it was now.

Yeah back on topic now I guess, sorry about bring up manual gearboxes when you're talking autos.

Started this one almost 2 years ago, after a few 2 seater buggies i thought about trying to squeeze 4 seats in. Stalled a bit, bought a house, stalled some more, just getting back into it with a long way to go yet.

Engine is JDM EJ20 turbo, with 4 speed auto trans. Front diff upside down, rear is subject to as yet unproven theory of the 4eat being reversable with some modification. So far so good, although its not that sporty looking because of the 4 seat layout.

Did you build a two seater? If so, you have any specs and/or photos?

I think this would be a great alternative to the Yamaha Rhino and alike atvs.

Did you build a two seater? If so, you have any specs and/or photos?

I think this would be a great alternative to the Yamaha Rhino and alike atvs.

First few designs were non-subaru, front engine/rear drive. First 4wd was based on a subaru 4wd domingo van (google it), that ended up being brilliant for mobility but underpowered. More recent was toyota engine with subaru running gear.

Once this one is complete it will be realatively easy to simply and duplicate it to make a road legal 'volkswagon' which would be far more versatile i think. Trying to build something for the first time involves a lot of trial and error making things fit together well.

Oh, and target weight is 700 kg, which is 1540 pounds, should give a nice power-weight ratio.

As for manual boxes, ive investigated SR as well as DR and neither will allow the crownwheel to be flipped,, even if it fitted in the housing the teeth would not mesh correctly.

That isn't the one with mid engine and the front hub hooked up with a chain off the rear output to drive the rear diff up front was it?

Indeed it is/was, since sold it. Despite the rather Agricultural appearance the system never failed or even required adjustment. On the 2 occassions i broke rear cv joints i drove several km's offorad on the front wheels only to get home. The only downside is that with higher speeds the chain lube flicked off rather quickly. Tested it to approx 140kph. Another buggy is being built locally that copies that same system, ive gone to the 4eat because it will be maintance free and i reckon i can use the electronic trans to my advantage.

Awesome. I remember seeing that thing ages ago, 05 I think.

Should be awesome to see how this new rig of yours goes.

Slightly offtopic but at the moment I am building a RWD Suzuki "550" hatch with a mid engine setup using a Mazda 626's 2L engine. Welded the diff and fitting 626 suspension all round. Putting an exo cage on it because theres no enough room in side for a roll cage I reckon. Should be fun.

Awesome. I remember seeing that thing ages ago, 05 I think.

Should be awesome to see how this new rig of yours goes.

Slightly offtopic but at the moment I am building a RWD Suzuki "550" hatch with a mid engine setup using a Mazda 626's 2L engine. Welded the diff and fitting 626 suspension all round. Putting an exo cage on it because theres no enough room in side for a roll cage I reckon. Should be fun.

Sounds like a heap of fun. I rounded up 2 of those suzuki K cars a few years back, with plans for them. One was a 3cyl 2 stroke and the other a 1l 4 stroke, super lightweight and quite intriguing. An enthusiast spotted them and insisted he buy them off me before i got into them, so i went to the subarus shortly after. Its all the rage over here atm to put atv tires on the little 4wd subaru and suzuki mini-trucks for use as farm vehicles.

Indeed it is/was, since sold it. Despite the rather Agricultural appearance the system never failed or even required adjustment. On the 2 occassions i broke rear cv joints i drove several km's offorad on the front wheels only to get home. The only downside is that with higher speeds the chain lube flicked off rather quickly. Tested it to approx 140kph. Another buggy is being built locally that copies that same system, ive gone to the 4eat because it will be maintance free and i reckon i can use the electronic trans to my advantage.

I have pics of that buggy, I thought it was a great idea! I will have to hunt for them, if they are on my other computer I will not be able to get them. (I won't go into detail).

If I find them I can post them for forum if anybody would like to see them?

Thanks for the info!

Ryan

• 2 months later...

Well HELLO Mikie,

Long Time No See!! Glad to see it together... :clap:

The last time I heard from you or saw any pics was with the frame done and you trying out how the back seat was going to fit/work.

Lots on my end - Mrs became handicapped to almost completely disabled - lots of in house treatment stuff - two people showing up every week for weeks and weeks - got her moving some what. And she just went through a big operation this past Jan. She is hoping to have half knee replacement on both of them by year end or next year at the latest.

As for me - Family comes first and all project came to a complete STOP some time back. I had to pick up where she left off. (Readers of this post - I'm not looking for a pat on the back - its what any married partner should be doing = "For better or worse" - SHE IS STUCK WITH ME ;) )

Srry If I hijacked your Thread....

Its sure nice to see someone move forward with their project.

Keep up the good work!!

All the Best, Tony