Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flywheel O-ring

I took the flywheel off of my 1984 GL Wagon last night and on the back of the flywheel there was an orange rubber ring. This ring is in pretty sad shape and I would like to install a new one. Has anyone found this item new anywhere? If so, can you pass on the source and part number? Does anyone have the dealer part number?

Thanks!

I don't remember any o-rings behind the flywheel....

At any rate replace the rear main - beyond that I wouldn't worry about this o-ring.

Remember to use blue locktite on the flywheel bolts as they are open to the crankcase.

GD

You do need it in there, the Fuji Engineer who wanted it there had it put there for a reason. Normally I agree with most of what you say, but how can you tell some one not to use a seal you don't even remember being there??? Tim

When I replaced the clutch on our 1987 Brat in 2004, I replaced the orange o-ring as well. It was part number 41396 7100 for the Brat. It is called the crankshaft o-ring. Back then, I bought the part from:

http://www.subaruparts.com/cart/?pn=413967100&submit.x=16&submit.y=2

It is $6.59 now. I am not sure whether this is applicable to your 84 GL wagon.

You do need it in there, the Fuji Engineer who wanted it there had it put there for a reason. Normally I agree with most of what you say, but how can you tell some one not to use a seal you don't even remember being there??? Tim

I looked it up - it's just there for centering the flywheel to the shaft. Plus it's often lost on vehicles that I've done clutches on. Never had a problem without it.

GD

Thanks a bunch for the part number!

I think the Brats kept the same drive train that I have until the end of their production run, so it is probably the same part for my 1984 GL Wagon.

It looks like a part I could get away without, but it has a black oily residue on one side, so I am willing to bet that its absence is the cause of many of those "unfixable" oil leaks. :grin:

I will try to get ahold of one, or a couple, and install it for good measure.

Thanks everyone for weighing in.

When I replaced the clutch on our 1987 Brat in 2004, I replaced the orange o-ring as well. It was part number 41396 7100 for the Brat. It is called the crankshaft o-ring. Back then, I bought the part from:

http://www.subaruparts.com/cart/?pn=413967100&submit.x=16&submit.y=2

It is $6.59 now. I am not sure whether this is applicable to your 84 GL wagon.

so I am willing to bet that its absence is the cause of many of those "unfixable" oil leaks. :grin:

It's not. How do I know?

Because I own multiple "leak free" EA81's and none of them have one.

I suspect it's to prevent oil from getting to the flywheel friction surface in case of a rear main failure. But that's just a guess, and oil wouldn't easily take that path. Maybe if it was really DUMPING out of there - but then you have bigger problems.

Know how many rear mains I've seen fail on EA81's?

You guessed it - NONE. I've done a couple front's, but rear's just don't seem to fail. It's aweful rare if I haven't seen it in the dozens I've owned.

GD

Yet you still recommend changing the rear main seal while the flywheel is off?

In any case, there is visible oil at the end of the crankshaft where this O-ring goes.

Know how many rear mains I've seen fail on EA81's?

You guessed it - NONE. I've done a couple front's, but rear's just don't seem to fail. It's aweful rare if I haven't seen it in the dozens I've owned.

GD

My rear main was leaky on the turbo wagon when I pulled the transmission off the last time. It was replaced.

It is a good idea to replace the rear main now.

However, that rubber orange ring thing. I remember that too. I pitched it. Its been running fine for the past 10,000 miles, no mysterious oil leaks (I know where they all are :lol:).

The oil on one side of that ring is probably due to a leaky rear main, and nothing else.

your sitting here wanting to argue with people about silly ************.

each of us has more time in these engines than god.have taken them all the way down and built them back up.with performance parts no less.

would you go to a mechanic right out of school?or the one that wins drag races because he knows what works?

just my opinion.sometimes you have to step outside the box.its ok, you won't get struck by lightning.

and as far as maintenance goes, i have seen a rear main go on an ea81, so i change them religiously.because i hate slipping clutches,oil on my catalytic converter and gross smells.:lol: cheers, brian

In any case, there is visible oil at the end of the crankshaft where this O-ring goes.

Depends on what it looks like. If I'm tearing the engine down I'll replace it. If the engine is just pulled forward for a clutch job then it stays unless it's leaking.

Besides - if you want an o-ring then go get a damn o-ring or make one. It's JUST an o-ring. You measure the diameter and the thickness with a caliper and go find one like it. There's nothing special here. If you can't find a size you like (unlikely) then you make one.

GD