Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to do with parts car?

Hey! :)

I bought me a parts car for my 81 Leone 1800 Sedan and now I don´t know what to do with it... :-\

It sits at my dealers backyard for nearly 10 years now and I am aloud to leave it there.

Should I go and part it out, or should I leave it in one piece? I really don´t know, because basically I do not need the parts from that car.

My 1981 Sedan has a nearly new interieur, has rustfree doors, good glass and so on. So I do not need parts now, but maybe I need parts in the future. Storage is not the problem, my parents own a big house, so I am able to keep the interieur, the doors and the glass there.

Should I part my 1983 parts car out, take the rustfree doors, the good glass, the new interieur and scrap the rest of the body?

Or should I leave it there and only take parts if I really need them?

I really don´t know, because it´s my first time having a parts car. :eek:

Can you give me your opinion? Thanks!

Lukas

i remember when i was a kid, 16 years old, you could buy a vw bug for around 100 to 350 dollars , a fixerupper. now days if a bug runs its 1500 to 4000, and their getting harder and harder to find, although i dont think a subaru has as large of a following ,they are becoming more and more hard to find. i have 3 parts cars and dont pass up a 100 to 500 dollar subaru very often, if their within 150 miles away. i wish i had a place to store them. wifey is gettingt a little miffed about it. i could always convert one into a bedroom if need be...

But my parts car is not saveable, or only at a very high effort of money. It was badly rear ended, the trunk is completely crashed and the doors wont open.

What do you guys think? Is it better to strip it and store the parts at our house, or should I leave the car at my dealers yard as it is?

My friends around here are not very helpful. One says strip it, the other one says leave it in one piece, the third one says strip it, the forth one...

Help me please! I don´t have experience with parts cars, I really don´t know what to do.

Thats how it looks like:

84er1800glfsedanfrhlingki8.th.jpg

Lukas

whatever year that is the donut spare was pitifully small :P

i would say leave it together, i find its easier to get a part off said "parts car" if its still bolted to the car in original locations, as opposed to "box 7:sub-box 3: divider 6" being the location of whatever you came looking for.

isaac

Thanks for your opinion!

My only fear is that the parts will get more and more worn out because of the rain and snow and sunshine and so on. I fear that the interieur will get wet and ugly and the chrome will loose it´s shine. :( Of course it´s already not that beautiful anymore because the car spent lot´s of years outside, but my fear is that it will get worse and one day it´s just crap... :-\

I really don´t know what to do. I appreciate every single opinon! Thanks!

Lukas