Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The P/S pump on my 97 OBW, 2.5L DOHC has had a avery small leak for quite some time. I'm not completely sure where it is leaking, but the fluid pools right behind it on top of the engine, and sometimes runs down the front. It never makes any noise, and works fine, but I have to add several ounces of fluid maybe every two months.

This isn't a big deal, but now I'm putting the CCR engine in, so I'm thinking of replacing the pump. Any experience with this leakage? Any experience with different kinds of P/S pumps. Obviously the Subaru model costs about twice as much as an after-market. Which would be recommended?

Thanks

Either way it looks like a really simple thing to change. I'm wondering about that O-ring, I wonder if I can get one. It is the one with the tank on top. That would explain why the pump seems to just keep working fine, and leak point is not real obvious. I didn't even look up under there.

I think I will leave it alone through the change, then get it really clean and check it out once the weather breaks.

I don't have much available through junk yards in the area. I can buy from online outfits, but I usually like to see and handle junk yard parts.

Anyway, thanks.

yeah just match it up, maybe someone on here would be willing to measure or loan you one so you don't have to take it apart. i know people have replaced these before, maybe someone knows the size? maybe subaru carries it? at least you have a picture of the exact part to show them.

I have one that is leaking - but without dis-assembly it looks more like a gasket on the back of the pump (assuming that the pulley is on the front of the pump). I didn't see anything in the blow-up with this gasket.

I bought a used one for 25.00 that doesn't look like a leaker. If I get around to it I'll tear it apart to see if I can tell what the wimpy part was.

I inquired last time I was at the dealer about a gasket for the back. Parts guy said they really just started installing used ones most of the time (as compared to a new/rebuild from Subaru I suppose).

Dave

i got a nice resealed one sitting on the bench.....for sale.....if ya need one

I might be interested in that, but I won't know for two weeks. I talked to Emily at CCR this morning about the engine exchange, and in the course of that conversation mentioned the P/S pump. She immediately said that it was probably the little O-ring between the reservoir and the pump, and that they would put a new one on when they swap the engine - no problem (those guys are really great to work with).

But, if that doesn't fix it, I'd rather buy a resealed one from someone on this site than buy a remanned one anywhere else.

Thanks

Just for justfor's.

I have never in ~11 years working on these cars seen that o-ring leak.

Either the body gasket or the front seal.

Just my experience. I've been wrong before.

It's also possible that I misunderstood what she said. i had just read the post about the reservoir O-ring before the call. Maybe she meant one of the seals you mention, and I had O-ring on the brain. Whatever the case, it was something that they see a lot. The problem isn't serious, so I'll let them check it out in the nice warm, dry shop, then decide what to do from there.

Thanks for all the info, and I'll let ya know what happens.

Thanks Porcupine. So back to my original question. Are after-market pumps OK, or is there a particular brand that is better? I would assume that a remanufactured pump would have new bearings as well as seals, so maybe that would be the better choice. Still going to wait to see what we find in a couple of weeks.

So I can't follow dotted lines. You are correct it is #12. For some reason I was seeing that as a dirrerent assembly and not the back of the pump.

Anyone ever try some RTV or something else they have on hand?

That entire rebuild kit looked like 20 bucks. Wonder how much this one gasket is (if it's available) and still whether the kit or a used one makes the most sense? I bought a used on efor how.

Dave

• 1 year later...

98 Subaru Outback. 2.5L.

My power steering pump is leaking. Seems like the O'ring - it is dripping from where reservoir meets the pump.

I am trying to remove the reservoir WITHOUT removing the entire pump, but no luck. I did get the bolt in the back (away from the pulley) that seems to hold the reservoir.

How does one remove the reservoir only or do I have to remove the entire pump?

98 Subaru Outback. 2.5L.

My power steering pump is leaking. Seems like the O'ring - it is dripping from where reservoir meets the pump.

I am trying to remove the reservoir WITHOUT removing the entire pump, but no luck. I did get the bolt in the back (away from the pulley) that seems to hold the reservoir.

I replied to your other thread with instructions on finishing your job. \

Good luck .

98 Subaru Outback. 2.5L.

I just dealt with the same problem a couple days ago. There is one bolt in the back, and another one inside the reservoir. I used a $1 rubber enema thingie (chuckle) to suction out the fluid. The o-ring is roughly 3/4 in in diameter if you wanna start looking for replacement beforehand.

I bought a set of ~10 of different sizes at autozone for about $3. Haven't driven the car long enough yet to tell you how well it worked, but the fluid level in the reservoir haven't dropped down in the past two days it been standing in the garage, and the ring I picked seemed to fit in there perfectly.