Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thanks and a question

Electrically inept here...

So "brownie" is sporting a new alternator. I drove to the local NAPA and picked up an remanufactured alternator. Installation took about 20 minutes (it took a some cursing and wiggling to free up something that had been in there for 20+ years.

Worked like a charm. Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement.

Now, here's the question part. The alternator in "brownie" was a dual pulley model and the one that the manual says I should have (according to NAPA) is a single pulley as I do not have power steering. The second pulley looked like it NEVER had a belt on it yet both the alternator AND the engine had these extra unused pulleys. What gives? I know the GL10 wagon had power steering...is it just a case of using the same parts and leaving the belt off one model?

:confused:

Any thoughts?

The second pulley looked like it have NEVER had a belt on it yet both the alternator AND the engine had these extra unused pulleys.

There are a couple different configurations - 2 different A/C systems. Power steering has 2 belts over the PS pump. If it is supposed to have 2 belts, there has to be 2 pulleys - one for each belt - with tension adjustment.

Some have the alternator as one adjust, and an idler as the other. One I have uses the A/C compressor as an adjustment.

Well, I have neither A/C nor power steering and for the life of me I can't figure what that extra pulley could be for. It has never had a belt on it as long as I have had it. I considered getting a dual pulley alternator an attaching a belt, but...

Let's just say that I'm living dangerously and decided to go with the single pulley and see what happens.

:eek:

Well, I have neither A/C nor power steering and for the life of me I can't figure what that extra pulley could be for.

Nothing to worry about. With no A/C and no PS, you don't need 2 belts.

It may have been a replacement alt... If the 1 groove lines up, it doesn't matter if the pully has a 2nd...