Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are you kidding again! Please help me!

Hi all I need some serious advice again. My 2004 Legacy had the trunk replaced and spoiler replaced due to vibration coming from them after the dealer had done a previous repair, I have a previous thread about this issue and I had thought it was gone but the noise is back. Ok,when I put it in drive and come to a stop I hear the vibration in the rear, so hears the deal, the dealer had removed it prior when the trunk was orginally painted because of a port installation issue which caused rust to form after the dealer had repainted it and they reinstalled the spoiler and the vibartion had started, there was no noise before they had touched it. I am so pissed! So its going back monday night where I am picking up a rental suabru again! So my suggestion was to have the tech or body shop ride in the trunk and drive the car and perform those times when it does it. Please advise of this issue and please help me out to see if it may be anything further but indeed it is the same issue for sure. :mad:

Hi all I need some serious advice again. My 2004 Legacy had the trunk replaced and spoiler replaced due to vibration coming from them after the dealer had done a previous repair, I have a previous thread about this issue and I had thought it was gone but the noise is back. Ok,when I put it in drive and come to a stop I hear the vibration in the rear, so hears :rolleyes: the deal, the dealer had removed it prior when the trunk was orginally painted because of a port installation issue which caused rust to form after the dealer had repainted it and they reinstalled the spoiler and the vibartion had started, there was no noise before they had touched it. I am so pissed! So its going back monday night where I am picking up a rental suabru again! So my suggestion was to have the tech or body shop ride in the trunk and drive the car and perform those times when it does it. Please advise of this issue and please help me out to see if it may be anything further but indeed it is the same issue for sure. :mad:

Probably not the safest suggestion to ride in the trunk... but how to resolve??

I can't recall all of the details from your prior post. If you haven't already done so, remove EvERYTHING from the trunk compartment including spare tire, jack, removable liner... EVERYTHING!

Now if you remove the rear seat back, can you access the trunk/lid area?

This might make diagnosis easier AND safer.

Perhaps there is something (wire harness etc.) that was moved in the lid/spoiler placement/replacement/replacement that created and then momentarily "solved" your problem (in any event likely related to some harmonic resonance)...

If all else fails, temporarily REMOVE the spoler and seal the mounting holes to see if it eliminates the problem.

If that is the solution, then your choice is to have a spiffy spoiler that will keep you "grounded" or a quiet car that will keep you sane.:burnout:

What Brus said...also are you absolutely sure its the spoiler and not the trunk lid itself..or maybe something else back there. Also try taking it someplace else to have the problem diagnosed and get the results in writting..contact Subaru and see if there are other cases of the same problem. ( we are doing that right now with the 08 Inp 5 doors having paint chipping issues and they told us a fix will be out in spring and we will be taken care of) Also double check to make sure it just didnt come loose..it is a whole new trunk lid and spoiler right?