Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Snow saga, Part 2 - it gets worse...

ok, a little back ground for those that havent seen it already...

a few days ago we had bone-chilling cold & high winds with severe blowing and drifting snow. as a result of this, and where my car sits in the drive, the engine bay got cram packed full of snow, what joy. :rolleyes:

(more info & pics in the "why i love my Subaru....snow carnage" thread

get the car into the garage (under it's own power i might add), get 90% of the snow removed, car will start when stone cold, but as soon as she starts to warm up, she dies...check engine light is on...

today 2/14/08 (BTW - Happy V day everyone) brush off the snow we got last night, shovel the drive out behind the car so I can get it put back indoors (tried to do it last night before snowfall, but no go) start car (yup, stone cold, starts fine) back in the garage...

Pull the lower dash panel so I can get to the check connectors...un-oh - things are worse than I thought...this is what greeted me behind that dash panel...

th_dash01.jpg

but wait! it gets even better!! as i investigate further by removing the kick panel...

th_kickpanel01.jpg

and further yet by removing the door sill and pulling back the carpet...

th_kickpanel02.jpg

right now all i want to do is kick, scream, and cry! but big girls know that sort of thing doesnt really help in the long run, so we suck it up, put on the big girl panties and get busy attempting to clean up the mess...:dead:

good thing i am unemployed at the moment - somehow I dont think a boss would really understand all of this...

thanks to everyone for letting me unload - time to go put on my big girl panties and get busy....:rolleyes:

oh yeah, before i forget - got my code - 22 - knock sensor...guess i need to try and dry that out some more - after i clean up the other mess....

It's a good thing you didn't leave any windows down a crack! Now you can nickname your soob igloosooby or something! Do you have a heated garage or someplace you can get the car in for a few days to try to dry it out? Water isn't great for the electrical stuff but if it doesn't have salt in it or anything it should dry out ok.

(95 legacy)this last wednesday when we had 15 inches in madison i got my legacy stuck behind the truck stop in madison. the car stalled and when i tried to start it the battery was dead.

i looked under the hood and the alt belt was wet, and there was snow packed up past the crank pulley from underneath.

enough so that it cased the timing belt to jump(hydro tensioner)

i guess this would be an arguing point for open vs covered timing belts.

this would have been my only other failure since having a loose rag under the hood in my rx. although a skid plate woud have prevented this!

anyway the car was stalled and not stuck, but inaccessible to anything short of an f-350 with 4wd. it would have been either impossible or too expensive to have the car moved to somewhere out of the snow, so i had to come back the next day and fix it where it sat. this is where the open belts paid off. all i had to do was remove the tensioner and its 2 bolts, and that's it! i used the vice and some baling wire at the diesel sh0p next door to compress the tensioner, and then drove my car 200 miles immediatelt afterward. she walked right out of the hole where she sat

the ironic thing the same car did the same thing exactly a year ago in the same place. but it had its covers then, and now they are naked since that paticular repair

johnceggleston - only have comprehensive in my dreams - it is an 18 yr old, bought and paid for semi-rust-bucket after all. nice thought tho. :)

Evil - yes, it was parked tail to the wind with the majority of it getting packed in from the left (drivers) side - doesnt help that i just discovered that the door seal is loose - will be getting something to glue that down permanently as soon as it warms up enough...

Porcupine - we have a garage, but not "heated" so to speak - only heat comes from a kerosene turbo heater, and I am about of that, too, with no way to get more till the other half gets home. oh, and surprise! the price of the stuff just went back up to $3.79.9 again! looking at getting some #1 "off-road" diesel instead - at least it is a little cheaper at about $3.45 a gallon & the heater will burn that too.

but anyway - spent some quality time with my Sube, a wet/dry shop vac and a hair dryer (less chance of melting things than with the heat gun) and I think I have it pretty well dried out. unplugged countless connectors, pulled the fuse panel out to get behind it (and to all the stuff at the top) lots of hairdryer time...heck, i think i used the hairdryer more today on the Sube than i have drying my hair in the last 6 months!! usually just let it air dry..

next problem - the code 22 - knock sensor...

I located the bugger - got the bolt loose, and the wire unplugged, but when i tried to get the plug loose from the bracket - it broke...just the outer housing, but still...grrr.

the sensor itself - eh, not so pretty. outer housing is cracked pretty bad with corrosion showing here & there, wire is stiff as a board...

will the knock sensor from a 91 work on my 90???

have a 91 parts car, but it is pretty buried at the moment, so I would like to know for sure before i go digging it out to try to get the sensor...it should work, right?? please tell me it will work...

hey miles! we got to miss out on that big dumping you guys got down there last week - but the high winds & drifting snow have more than made up for it, believe me! We got about 5" of the stuff last night and now the wind is picking up again - oh wonderful! :rolleyes:

BigB - yeah, it is crazy - makes me wonder why in the &*%% i stay here - have I mentioned that I HATE WINTER!!! more and more every year...

as for a name - beginning to think this one is gonna be called the "Icemaiden" :):lol: in spite of being flame red!