Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 spfi w/pwr str in ea82?

lumpycam

I just finished swapping an ea81 into a ea82 spfi wagon, It is complete and running except for power steering pump.I've heard that the ea81 pump and brackets will work with some modifications.My question is , has anyone done this successfully? If you have , what's involved to make it work?

I just finished swapping an ea81 into a ea82 spfi wagon, It is complete and running except for power steering pump.I've heard that the ea81 pump and brackets will work with some modifications.My question is , has anyone done this successfully? If you have , what's involved to make it work?

you'll need to either get some fitting adapters, or customize the PS lines, as the fittings are not the same for ea81->ea82

I can't speak to fitting it with SPFI though....

longShot, but the ea81turbo cars have a very simmilar, if not the same pump and mounting location as the ea82's, so that turbo ea81 bracket would do it.

Ding ding ding. This is the key. EA81T power steering pump bracket with the EA82 pump on it. The bracket difference between the EA81T and the EA82 is the fact that the pump has to stick out to clear the timing belts where as, the EA81 has none.

I'm using an early solid lifter ea81, there are only two bosses on top of block for alternator bracket.Also when you flip the AIC valve it puts it right were the pump would normally be on an ea82.Do the ea81t blocks and the hyd lifter blocks have bosses for the pwr steering bracket? I looked at maybe using ea81 a/c bracket to mount pwr steering pump, not much room between alt and battery though. It looks to me the best shot is to use n/a ea81 pump and brackets, but I don't have any to try.