Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Re-seal: EA81 Pwr steering rack input

So, I looked all over the place for this info, but couldn't find it.

Have any of you ever re-sealed the steering input shaft on an EA81 Power steering rack assembly? I'm talking about the shaft into the steering rack that the steering stem hooks to.

Mine has a leak from that seal, and I would much rather fix it than get a new one!

Thanks for any help you can give me!

I realize that would be easiest. But I would prefer to fix the one in the car.

So, If anyone has any info on re-sealing the one I have; That would be a great help!

THANKS

the reason why; is that it is actually cheaper to get another one from pap, then resealing it. if i recall correctly the 20 bucks to get another rack vs. the cost and actual hassel to replace it, out weighed spending more time and money on fixing the one that is in the car.

Thanks for the info.

If anyone has any info on re-sealing an Ea81 power steering rack input shaft, please let me know.

As to the steps involved. IE:

A: How to remove the input shaft. This info would be the most valuable to me, as once I have the old seal, I may (A big MAY mind you) be able to find a new one.

B: Where I could find a new seal itself.

Thanks! :burnout:

Measure the ID and OD of the seal and order one from a seal/bearing house. Look in the phone book.

Keep in mind that this is metric land - you'll have to measure in metric. Use digital calipers.

Viton would be a good choice of material if you can get it.

Also the grease inside the rack & pinion gear housing is VERY SPECIAL. It's also insanely expensive from Subaru. I reused the grease that was in the last one I took apart. It's a lithium based gear grease that doesn't "flow" so it won't run out of the rack into the boots. It's "sticky" and white. There's probably some equivelent out there but I don't know what.

GD

Measure the ID and OD of the seal and order one from a seal/bearing house. Look in the phone book.

Keep in mind that this is metric land - you'll have to measure in metric. Use digital calipers.

Viton would be a good choice of material if you can get it.

Also the grease inside the rack & pinion gear housing is VERY SPECIAL. It's also insanely expensive from Subaru. I reused the grease that was in the last one I took apart. It's a lithium based gear grease that doesn't "flow" so it won't run out of the rack into the boots. It's "sticky" and white. There's probably some equivelent out there but I don't know what.

GD

Do you know by any chance, how to remove the steering input shaft on that? I've cleaned that groove around it all out, and I don't see any snap ring or anything else of the sorts.

Do you know by any chance, how to remove the steering input shaft on that? I've cleaned that groove around it all out, and I don't see any snap ring or anything else of the sorts.

I think there's a couple bolts and the whole gear housing and shaft comes off. The seals may actually be nylon and application specific IIRC. I checked into it and you can't get onesy-twosey from the dealer. I think you have to buy the whole rebuild kit and it's really, really not cheap.

You'll have to drop the steering rack to get to it.

GD