Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Last night I let my clutch out while in gear and bumped my car into a wall. As I made my way home I noticed that my brakes didn't work as they ought to. I now have to press the pedal all the way to the floor to get the brakes to work and wen I do the car seem to pull to the left. I'm concerned that i have a big problem ahead.

Is it possible that my brake fluid is low and i just need to add some. the brakes seem to work when i to press the pedal all the way and I even notice the ABS kicking in so some things seem to be working properly.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks

I would stop driving the car until you figure this out. Sounds like maybe you sprung a leak in your front right someplace. If it's pulling to the left it 'prolly means your right caliper is not grabbing. Check your fluid and see if it's low and look for fluid on the ground.

Good Luck

Will-

it may be too late to check for fluid onthe ground. as I've moved the car at least three times. The odd thing is that when I am at low, parking lot speeds the brake pedal is firm and does not go all the way to the ground. It is the same way when the car is stopped at a light or before leaving a parking space.

it may be too late to check for fluid onthe ground. as I've moved the car at least three times. The odd thing is that when I am at low, parking lot speeds the brake pedal is firm and does not go all the way to the ground. It is the same way when the car is stopped at a light or before leaving a parking space.

You may have a leak in your vacuum booster. The pedal feels firm at low speeds because it doesn't take as much force to stop the car, but at higher speeds you press harder and for longer.

I'm no expert, I'm sure one of them will chim in soon, but this would be my guess.

Good Luck

Yes that doesn't really sound too safe to drive in that condition. Is the brake fluid reservoir low? If so the system will also need to be bled because it must've gotten low enough to let air into the system.

Do the brake booster check.

You might have a corroded brake line, burst or collapsed brake flex hose, siezed caliper, etc.

The burned rubbery smell, maybe look at your cv joint boots esp the front right inner.

Yes that doesn't really sound too safe to drive in that condition. Is the brake fluid reservoir low? If so the system will also need to be bled because it must've gotten low enough to let air into the system.

Do the brake booster check.

You might have a corroded brake line, burst or collapsed brake flex hose, siezed caliper, etc.

The burned rubbery smell, maybe look at your cv joint boots esp the front right inner.

Sounds scary I have to drive it at least once more to get home. Then I can take it in tomorow. I'm just looking for some ideas. thanks. fortunately I have a manual so I can down shift to control speed and then jam the brakes if needed.

where is the brake reservoir?

Open your hood and it will be a white plastic cup with a yellow cap similar in size to a coffee mug located in the right rear corner of the engine bay. The cap with have some writing on it indicating the type of brake fluid to be used and the cup with have high and low marks which the fluid should be between.

Booster check:

Start engine, and run it for 1 to 2 minutes, then turn it off. Depress brake pedal several times applying the same pedal force as that used in ordinary braking operations. The pedal stroke should be greatest on the 1st depression, and it should become smaller with each successive depression. If no change occurs in the pedal height while in a depressed state, brake booster is faulty.

In the event of defective operation, inspect the condition of the check valve and vacuum hose. Replace them if faulty and conduct the test again. If no improvement is observed, check precisely with gauges.

3. OPERATION CHECK

1) With engine off, depress brake pedal several times applying the same pedal force and make sure that the pedal height does not vary with each depression of the pedal.

2) With brake pedal depressed, start engine.

3) As engine starts, brake pedal should move slightly toward the floor. If no change occurs in the pedal height, brake booster is faulty.

If faulty, check precisely with gauges.

4. LOADED AIR TIGHTNESS CHECK

Depress brake pedal while engine is running, and turn off engine while the pedal is still depressed. Keep the pedal depressed for 30 seconds.

If no change occurs in the pedal height, brake booster is functioning normally.

If the pedal height increases, it is faulty.

Is their a small shop you trust? Seems to me like Goodyear, Midas and places like that always want to do more then is needed. Most likely they will end up wanting hundreds.

Out of curiosity. What might this tun $$$ wise at a shop, maybe like a goodyear dealer place or something?

Porcupine 73, that picture just dont look right, I dont see many things different on the L.H.D. Subaru's and the R.H.D. but that Master Cyclinder is sure one.

hehe..hmm, ok, not sure exactly what you mean. This is a US spec/LHD '96 legacy brighton? Here's a nice blurry pic of the whole underhood.....

underhood2.jpg

Gritle, sorry about my comment about the master cyclinder, this is about your brakes, I think the person that said something about looking for brake fluild loss on the right side might be on to something. Damage there would explain the low pedal and the pulling to the other side, it may be something as simple as changing the rubber brake line.