Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej swap continues

crockettbrat

Hey all:

The legacy is almost gone. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/P10100301.JPG Someday I'll find the post that tells you how to cut and paste photos on to posts:dead:

Tomorrow I'll cut up the firewall area and this thing is gone. I've got one dump run if carpet and plastic, but other than that I recycled the vast majority of this vehicle.

From what I found on line, most likely the brat speedo has a vehicle speed sensor, so for now I'm not to o worried about that part of the swap. The brat should be moved to the front of the driveway on sunday or monday to have the engine and tranny removed, then the new engine and 5speed d/r can go into place. I've still got to get the new clutch stuff too.

Anyway, moving forward on this project. Thanks USMB for the motivation.:banana:

Daniel

about your pictures, there is the little button right above the text box that has a mountain and the sun on it. click that it should bring up a screen that has you put a web address. insert where the picture is located, in this case it was http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/P10100301.JPG and presto, you have an image in your post.

although you may want to shrink them a little. us small screened guys hate scrolling to the right to see the rest of it. 640x480 seems to be a good forum size.

P10100301.JPG

How do you resize images?

Daniel

i use photo shop, but most image software have some sort of resize feature. also if you use photo bucket (an online image storage place) rather then using USMB to store your pictures, they have an option to resize when you upload your pictures.

good luck:)

i use photo shop, but most image software have some sort of resize feature. also if you use photo bucket (an online image storage place) rather then using USMB to store your pictures, they have an option to resize when you upload your pictures.

good luck:)

Ok then. Lesson complete! I'm young enough to already know this stuff, but somehow I've managed to have most of the computer literacy stuff pass me by.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...
feel free to go ahead and ship me your front bumper at any time... :grin:

Where'd you get it? Awesome

I made the bumper myself. 10' hunk of 3/16" 4"x 6" steel tube. Holes cut on milling machine, bent by brute force and a big f'in hammer. I got the idea from the firetruck bumpers that stick out enough that you can stand on them, but I scaled it down to brat size.

86bratman- thanks for the info on the vss. I'll search for your post. If anyone has wire color info on the 84 vss that would be helpful incase I cant find the post. I have searched alot, but I'll go back to it. Thanks.

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

Ok then! I got off my a$$ and got this thing going again. I drove the brat under ea power for the last time today. I moved the BMW out of the way, because its DONE!, and put the brat up by the shop. The kid and I spent the afternoon and took the hood off and pulled the motor. It came out nice and easy. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to pull the olds 4sp lump. The ea82 flywheel is going to the machine shop tomorrow and I'll get my clutch kit ordered.

What have you others who've gone before me done to your ej before installing it. I figured at least the timing belts. Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

Ok then! I got off my a$$ and got this thing going again. I drove the brat under ea power for the last time today. I moved the BMW out of the way, because its DONE!, and put the brat up by the shop. The kid and I spent the afternoon and took the hood off and pulled the motor. It came out nice and easy. Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to pull the olds 4sp lump. The ea82 flywheel is going to the machine shop tomorrow and I'll get my clutch kit ordered.

What have you others who've gone before me done to your ej before installing it. I figured at least the timing belts. Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

HEADGASKETS!!! It's much, much, much easier to do this once the motor is out and that way you don't have to worry about them for a really long time. You really don't want to have to pull the motor out again for a while. At least that was my train of thought.

Headgaskets might be a little extreme. It all depends on what the history of the EJ. What is the mileage, was it overheated. Can it hurt, nope. It will add more complexity to your build. On the plus side, you can reseal the entire engine while the heads are in the shop getting resurfaced. Ohh. and it you are going that far and taking it apart, you might as well remove the valves and take a dremel w/a grinding bit and clean up the ports and gasket match the exhaust.

If you don't want to go that far, I would reseal the front and rear seals, do the water pump, reseal the cams, do the timing belt and call it done.

When I dropped the EJ into my BRAT, I didn't do the water pump and sure enough 3k later it starts squealing. Luckily for me, I don't have timing belt housing or covers so it was really simple to the water pump and get it taken care of.

Keep up the good work and get the BRAT going.

BW