Ultimate Subaru Message Board

exhaust parts

Anyone ever bought parts from here? http://store.streetbeatcustoms.com/subaru-gl-magnaflow-direct-fit-catalytic-converters.html

I bought the Y pipe with converter and the mid pipe w/ converter for a 89 4wd wagon (ea82). Went to check the fitment of the mid pipe while the stock Y pipe still on the car and the converter hits the bearing on the drive shaft. Comparing it to the old mid pipe the converter needs to moved 6-8" towards the front of the car (like the one in the link speced out fot a 2wd car). I think they have there description messed up.

I didnt check fitment of the Y pipe but it looks good, construction overall of both parts also look good.

I agree two converters are overkill. But we have some strict emission crap here.

Ill have to contact them and see if they will send me a the 2wd midpipe they have listed and see if it fits. somehow explain to them they have it backwards.

Thanks

I did not see a midpipe for EA82s there other than the 2wd XT one.

All the other for *83-89* look like EA81 (hatch and Brat) stuff to me.

I'm not sure, but the 2wd XT midpipe look to be right. It has the bend needed to clear the bearing. But it may not clear the driveline. It doe look like it has the right bend though to get in the tunnel beide the driveshaft.

be warned (from personal experience) that those magnaflow y pipes, while built well, are mass produced and welded by some 8 y.o. child laborer in the Philippines (maybe not, but you get the idea) which means that the flanges aren't always at exactly the right angle for the holes to just line up. i wrestled with the magnaflow y pipe for such a long time to line it up, that when i tried to cram the studs back in the hole, they ended up getting X-threaded and stripping out (very not good). i don't know your personal level of mechanic abilities, but if you don't have a welder to warm up the pipes to get the flanges to match correctly, you may want to drop off the y-pipe and the car at a good independent exhaust shop and pay them the 1/2 hour labor to put it on (and fix/adjust y pipe) to save yourself from a lot of not fun-ness :)

again, from my own experience on an EA82 wagon . . .

chris

Thanks for the warning. That may just be the way to go (take it to a garage). I am going to test fit the y pipe now and see if thats even close to bolting up to the rest of the stock exhaust.

I looked at the 2wd drive mid pipe on the site and I think the cat will clear the bearing housing but it looks like the tube may hit the drive shaft. From the looks of it, the ones I have will work if I can get the cat cut out and rewelded were it should be. Its about 6-8" to far to the rear of the car.

Thanks for the warning. That may just be the way to go (take it to a garage). I am going to test fit the y pipe now and see if thats even close to bolting up to the rest of the stock exhaust.

I looked at the 2wd drive mid pipe on the site and I think the cat will clear the bearing housing but it looks like the tube may hit the drive shaft. From the looks of it, the ones I have will work if I can get the cat cut out and rewelded were it should be. Its about 6-8" to far to the rear of the car.

How is the overall length? 6-8 too short? or just cat in the wrong place?

that when i tried to cram the studs back in the hole, they ended up getting X-threaded and stripping out (very not good).

Yes - very not good - also very not good installation procedure. You don't thread the studs through the holes in the y-pipe. You leave the studs IN the heads and install the y-pipe over them. If they came out when you removed the y-pipe, they should have been fixed or replaced and re-installed prior to ever fitting the y-pipe.

GD

Yes - very not good - also very not good installation procedure. You don't thread the studs through the holes in the y-pipe. You leave the studs IN the heads and install the y-pipe over them. If they came out when you removed the y-pipe, they should have been fixed or replaced and re-installed prior to ever fitting the y-pipe.

GD

yep, live and learn baby, live and learn :dead: (or do a better job of researching on USMB first!!:) )

yep, live and learn baby, live and learn :dead: (or do a better job of researching on USMB first!!:) )

Yeah - we all have made the mistake.

Also it's important to support the weight of the y-pipe and not let it pull on the studs - EVER. This is what strips the holes on the heads. That, and broken transmission exhaust mounts.

GD