Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SVX needs differential - worth it for a used buy?

Looking for advice on whether this car is a good buy. 94 SVX that needs a new front diff for $1325. I'm hoping to get an idea of how much would this differential cost, as well as potential labor at a shop - I'm seeing diffs from other late model Subarus available online from 50-250 bucks but nothing for "SVX" specifically. Is this something I could/should think about installing myself? Have tools and a bit of experience wrenching on Subaru, but not drivetrain parts yet.

Here's the ad in question:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/car/592673291.html

Thanks all.

edit: to clarify the car needs FRONT diff, not LSD

I don't know what the job intails but I'd sure find out! It can't be that hard if its a subaru. Soobs are the easiest cars I've ever worked. One of the major reason I stay with em. Also parts availablity make sure you can get the parts. If you call a bone and ask for the parts and they laugh at you, then your probaly sunk. That is a clean and neat looking machine right there. I'd buy it. Of course I'd have to move after my wife saw it! Get in touch with daviegravy he/she is on this site with a 92 SVX

be careful with the SVX, they can be very expensive to maintain. they are great cars and very reliable but spending an entire tax return on one and having no disposable cash might not be the best idea on this. parts can be hard to find, i was looking for an idle controller or TPS for a friend a year ago and couldn't come up with one for a decent price. windshields = $700. wheel bearings and automatic transmission failures are very common with these and are rather expensive fixes.

if you get one - install an aftermarket dedicated transmission cooler immediately. they're only $30-$40.

good luck with it - they are certainly very cool cars and drive very, very nice!

If it is the Diff, and I doubt it is, unless the LSD itself is hosed, you can get and swap in new gears without much fuss.

It's more likely torque bind from any of 3 sources.

1. TPS bad or mis-adjusted

2. Solenoid C troubles

3. Mis-matched tires

The rear diff on a SVX is pretty much bullet-proof

The AD says it's the transmission differential. That means the front diff. In the SVX the gears are 3.54:1 they're unique in all the 4eat transmissions. A cost effective swap is the 4.44 gears from the Legacy Outback. You can simply swap in the gears, or the whole trans. Just remember that you need the rear diff as well, to swap the gears into the SVX rear carrier.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll see if the price drops, and if it gets ridiculously cheap like < 1000 I might pick it up, expect to repair/replace the tranny and install that cooler. Still for 2k it would be a nice car I think. My buddy had one and I remember its stellar handling.

You can alway replace the tranny with one from another Subaru, Just check out the gearing you want and get the whole driveline for less then repairing the front diff.. The SVX is a great car but is a little slow off the line with 3.454's if you go for 3.90's it would get up to speed faster. There are also 4.11's and 4.44's.

A used tranny should be under $500, for the flex plate, tranny, drive shaft, and the rear diff. so they match.

Good luck

svxman

Michael