Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have an '01 Forester. There's a problem that will show up after driving for a little while. When I hit the brakes I get a loud KLUNK. Sounds like a dull metal on metal. It could be hard rubber or plastic on metal but I think it's metal on metal. It happens as soon as I hit the brake petal. If I then lift my foot and let it roll forward a little way and then hit the brakes again it will klunk again. It's a single klunk each time. I usually have to be driving for a while before it starts the klunk. Sometimes I may go for days without it happening but once it starts it usually keeps doing the klunk on every brake application until I've parked the car for a little while.

On an interesting note, my wife drives a '06 Outback. Her car has recently starting having the same klunk with pretty much the same symptoms. I thought maybe my car might have something to do with a bad break job but her car has 40k miles and hasn't had a break job yet.

Any thoughts. Thanks for any help!

Alan

Hi. A few things to check.

Are any of the brake pads worn all the way down?

Check for any loose caliper mounting hardware. Once someone had a missing caliper bolt, which every time the brakes were pressed, the caliper would move and hit -clunk- on the inside of the wheel.

Also if the pads are too loose in the caliper brackets they can shift when the brakes are pressed and again clunk.

I'm sure there are probalby lots of other possibilites too.

Dunno if this is related in any way, but several years ago when I intentionally activated the anti-lock system on my Sube's brakes to test the system (by braking very hard on a rain slick road), I got a clunk, clunk, clunk from the brakes.

The dealer service advisor said, at the time, that it was the normal sound of the system. Anyway, the car stopped straight and true so the anti-lock system worked.

Might the single clunk when you hit the brakes be the anti-locks activating briefly for some reason?

This is a long-shot, but I got to thinking why you would have the same sound in two different cars.

Are the back seats latched securely? Sometimes, when I have folded down the seat, I don't get it latched just right.

Like I said, it's a long shot...

Steve

Thanks for the idea but I drive all the time with my back seats down. I have two dogs that love to travel and they get first dibs. My wife's car has the seats up but I'm sure those are locked in. Thanks again though. Any shot is appreciated.

Alan

I've had my brother and dad walk along side the car when the klunk is happening and we're all sure it's coming from the front end. I'm pulling the front brakes this weekend to change them. We were going to look around for any signs of something making contact.

Alan

You might push up and down on the front of the car, the klunk could be a bad strut mount.

agreed. My 93 taurus wagon did the same thing... granted it's not a suby but it was a fwd with struts.

The strut mount was worn. I was told it was not dangerous... only annoying because of the clunk.

Find an empty parking lot, put the hood up, have someone walk next to the car while holding their hand on top of the strut shock... I'm betting they'll either see movement of the strut or feel the clunk.